What can you use an old xmas tree for?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stratts

Forager
Nov 2, 2010
Yaxley, Peterborough
Hi guys,
I have our xmas tree laying in the garden and before I take it to the tip I was wondering if there's anything it could be used for?

I'm new to carving and traditional crafts so if it could be used for something simple, like me, i'd rather do that than take it to the tip,

Cheers

Stratts

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
We got the old christmas tree from my wife's school at the end of term (for firewood). It shed needles in the back of the truck which had to be swept out. They weren't all wasted though; I collected some and took them to the mother-in-laws on Christmas day and serruptitiously sprinkled them all under her artificial tree.

Z

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
make a nice fire with it !!

that's pretty much the best use that i can think of for a christmas tree, preferably on the 24th with all the kiddies sitting around, just look at their little faces light up! (too humbug?)

christmas trees make great little "bush candles" split the thicker bits and push the thinner bits into the splits, they burn hot and bright for a good length of time and give off a lovely piney smell, great for sitting round with a few bevvies after a BBQ.

i all honesty for most purposes wood's pretty much wood, whether it be seasoned oak or green willow, exotic thuya burl or exotic leylandi (sp?), it's all just wood. there's a whole lot of rubbish written about what wood's good for what and what wood isn't, unless you're making tools (balsa isn't good for axe handles) or eating implements (poison ivy isn't my first choice for spoons) then it doesn't really matter.

stuart (sits back and waits for the lynch mob/s)

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I got out the GB Wildlife Hatchet & made short work of a 6' tree, while still in my front room; Madam was out of the house for safty reasons (mine....!). When she got back the tree was gone into 2 thick bin bags & 5 minutes with the hoover = lots of b. points for me

Seriously though, not sure what you can do with a dried out opld Xmass tree apart from a fire or the tip.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Pine needle tea and the remainder goes to the compost pile? But actually, the tree probably takes too long to break down to make good composting.

They weren't all wasted though; I collected some and took them to the mother-in-laws on Christmas day and serruptitiously sprinkled them all under her artificial tree.

Z

I love it!

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
In the past I have burnt them If you stand them up they make a very impressive show very noisy too the kids get a great kick out of it. This year I took them to be mulched and it was used in town parks.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I seem the remember someone on this forum who used to carve a decoration out of part of the tree and that went on next years tree. Can't remember how many years they'd been doing it but there were quite a few on their tree :)

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I leave it in the ground. Then it's good for next year too. :)

You replant it, with no roots? Or you uproot it when you take it from the ground in the first place and replant it carefully?

I'm suddenly interested in sustainable (and free!) unlimited Christmas tree supply :p

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You replant it, with no roots? Or you uproot it when you take it from the ground in the first place and replant it carefully?

I'm suddenly interested in sustainable (and free!) unlimited Christmas tree supply :p

No, I don't replant it, I don't dig it up in the first place. I just find the idea of killing a tree for no good reason rather distasteful.

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
what do you carve, what do you use cook with, what do you make your shelter with, where do you think the carbon goes, back into regrowth, if the natural cycle is distasteful than why bush craft ?

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
wouldnt make the tea : they spray xmas trees with something to reduce the needles dropping:- god knows what it is but i woulnt want to drink an infusion of it

Pine needle tea and the remainder goes to the compost pile? But actually, the tree probably takes too long to break down to make good composting.

I love it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE