What can i oil my spoon with?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use flax seed oil first, then as it is used and washed I just "top up " the oiling with cooking oil!
Used often the oil has no time to go rancid!

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Cheers John. Thought id upload a pic of the spoon. Its made of Elm (it was a section of my elm bow that recently cracked, R.I.P). Its my second spoon, the first was Lime and this one was a bit tougher to carve!

spoonp.jpg

ta

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I usually stick spoons in the chip fryer for a few seconds while the chips are in.

Looks like a lovely spoon... I don't mean to try and teach anyone to suck eggs but just want to check that you have put the spoon in some hot water to lift the grain before a last sanding, haven't you?

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
I usually stick spoons in the chip fryer for a few seconds while the chips are in.

Looks like a lovely spoon... I don't mean to try and teach anyone to suck eggs but just want to check that you have put the spoon in some hot water to lift the grain before a last sanding, haven't you?

Teaching me something :) Could you elaborate?

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
cold pressed linseed or walnut are good, olive is no good as it wont harden and will go rancid. tung oil is another good solid drying oil, it will taste of nuts for a while but wears off after a few weeks and gives a good barrier to moister,

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Just give it a quick rinse under the cold tap chap. Then dry off , it will feel all fuzzy as soon as you do but leave it to dry. As for oil I just use rape seed oil( pure vegetable oil from spar 80p a liter) and it works fine. On olive oil I have a spoon I finished with olive oil about four years ago and its fine? Does any one have anything to back up the rancid thing?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Teaching me something :) Could you elaborate?

No squidders have not done that! Will do it tomorrow. How hot should the water be and how long should you submerse the spoon for? Chheers

The water doesn't have to be very hot... As southey said, make sure the spoon is wet and the texture will change from smooth to fuzzy... if you don't do this, it'll be fuzzy when you use it. How long depends on the wood and its grain but you'll feel the change. Once this is done, leave the spoon to dry - It will still have the fuzzy feel. Give it a final going over with your finest paper and then it's really ready for oil and years of service.

Last edited:

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
dammit!! I finished my first spoon 20 minutes ago and missed out on the water trick,I should check this forum more regulary! I used olive oil, the other alternative I had in the house was linseed oil.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
If you want to understand the pros and cons of the various oils I wrote it all up a while ago here.
Olive oil very commonly goes rancid in salad bowls and when it does it becomes a gooey smelly thing that you no longer want to use. It doesn't happen so much on spoons because there is less oil and more air around it but still it does not cure so will not protect the spoon as well as an oil which does.

Re sanding and wetting the best procedure is sand dry until you have it smooth with your finest grit. Then wet (just dip in water) and allow to dry this washes the dust particles out of the pores and fluffs the grain. Now important thing is not to sand too much or you will be back where you started. What you are trying to do is sand very lightly just the tops off the raised grain. Then oil and for the best finish whilst you have the thing covered in oil use a little sand paper to give a last light sanding lubricated by the oil.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Do any of these oils give a "funky" flavour when using for food utensils i.e. spoon, kuksa, spatula etc?

Got a spoon about to be finished and a peice of wood for a kuksa which im itching to get started on..dont want to use the "wrong" oil...

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hi Robin. Reading your guide has finally answered my question about the IKEA mineral chopping board oil I have. You mention it never sets, is the only draw back that I have to keep re-applying it?

Also, did I understand your guide correctly, that you use linseed oil on all your plates and spoons? And the only reason you get it from sweden is the colour? In other words, say if I got boiled linseed oil from BnQ, it would not harm me to use it on spoons?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE