What can I do with a piece of lime?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Hi all, my landlord is felling what I think is a young lime tree in the garden (broad heart shaped leaves and a speckled silvery grey bark) which will yield a trunk of approx six feet in length and six inches diameter throughout.

So my question is how should I store the timber while it dries and what can I do with it?

Many thanks in advance

W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Lime is a beautiful wood to carve, green or seasoned :)

Paint the ends and let it season in a dry cool place if you don't want to carve it green.

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Mesquite, many thanks for your reply. So carving is an option. I must admit I've never tried to carve anything for decorative purposes so it could be a rewarding experience.

Is there anything else it is good for? I toyed with the idea of making a hearth board and drill once it's dry but I have no friction fire experience so don't know if it's a good timber to start with!

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Thanks cranmere. I'm assuming I'd need to soak it in a charcoal (lye?) solution to strengthen it before using it as cordage?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I toyed with the idea of making a hearth board and drill once it's dry but I have no friction fire experience so don't know if it's a good timber to start with!

It's actually among the best woods to use IME. Lime board and a hazel spindle is how I learned. It's possible with most any wood but using the good stuff helps. Get cracking with friction fires it's a valuable skill and lots of fun. And remember the BCUK rule, pics or it didn't happen ;)

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Wood ash makes lye, not charcoal :)

Never seen that method and had to resort to Google red! Made it from reacting metallic potassium many moons ago but hardwood ash is more available. Easy enough to buy it but definitely trying to make it now!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Lime is a fantastic timber for handling tools which will be used in a wet environment; it absorbs water almost instantly from it's surface and keeps the properties of a safe and comfortable grip. It has the added bonus of being very light, so you can have a large handle on a small tool and still keep a nice balance. It's also quite a bit more durable than it would seem to be when you have it in the hand.

Back in the day, all the top quality tools for the wet trades were handled in Lime; plastering tools, bricklayers etc., and I remember the hedge layers hereabouts would handle some of their stuff with it.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
You got some of the best wood around :) I have some pieces that my grandfather stored and my father stored and I'm storing for the future.......... it's easy to work with, has a very smooth and soft finish and you can make anything you like with it. Last thing I made was a long scythe handle. We used it for sauna bed few years ago, fantastic properties, absorbs moisture, does not slip (as mentioned by Macaroon) and does not get hot. Cordage is great from the bark and you don't need any solutions to have a go! Just soak it in a stream or a pond or a bucket for a week and you can work it... My grandad used to make ropes from the bark for years and used it for some really heavy work. Make sure you debark it before storing. And then paint the ends if you have any paint at hand, never done that because I'd be spending a lot on paint :D and don't forget to have fun! You have a nice wood to go woodworking ;)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Carve a spoon or three from the smaller pieces. Lime is regarded as probably the best native wood for carving because it carves easily even when seasoned, but takes fine detail well. Make a small bowl or a cup or kuksa, and a flat piece will make a small chopping board. Basically it is excellent wood. The fragments when seasoned will burn quite respectably too.

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Excellent, thanks everyone! I should have enough to be able to have a crack at a few of these 😊

I will update with pictures in the future

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE