what berries are these?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I found these berries last week on an island in varmland, sweden but I'm not sure what it is
they were on small bushes with a few berries per plant, low to the ground, roughly 5 to 10 cm high

I think it's either red currant or cloudberry

what do you guys think?

berry.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It aint either :) Cloudberrys are orange and look like small blackberries and red currants have different leaves and are much larger plants. The berries only grow on last years wood too, so wouldnt be able to produce at that size i dont think

I thought lingonberry but the leaves are different to that too.

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Can't find any info of a plant that matches that. Looks almost like a cross between wild strawberry ( leaves) and red currant.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Not all the same as far as i know,

6a00d83451584369e20176168617c9970c-800wi

I know its a bti poo but the leaves in the back ground are the same as the prvious pic i posted, from two different sources, of course there is nothing to say these could both be wrong, and then so am I :)

I'm from Belgium but found these in sweden, I wish I had taken more pictures..

I agree with you guys that it's not lingonberry and cloudberry

the translucency was very close to red current (and the leaves too in my opinion)
but it were small plants and the berries were not together like red current

not sure about briony either

I found some small raspberries close to it too

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Aye we grow 2 different types of wild strawberry, plus red/white and blackcurrants.

Its an unusual one to me, and berries are probably my strong point when it comes to wild foods. :) But then, i aint swedish nor have i ever been there yet. :) I'm sure some of our scandinavian members will recognise it. :)

Sep 4, 2012
Utrecht
I was with Qrt and maybe I can give more clues to which berries they were:

In the picture above the berries seem to be apart, but in most cases the berries were clustered against eachother more or less like the cloudberries. At the top of the berries you can see tiny brown leaves, they surrounded the berries. And in the middle you can see the stump on which they were seated.

It is true that there were raspberries close to them but they were scarce. Most of the unknown berries were growing +/- 15m further along the coastline and they were all growing on those small plants like in the picture. We haven't seen one big bush with them. If I would have to guess a ratio it would be 1 raspberry plant/100 unknown berry plant.

I think one of the best clues is in the leaves. All of the plants had 3 leaves all apart from eachother which you can see best in the top ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE