What bergen/pack/rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
I would ask the question as to why you would go the military pack route? Sure they can hold a lot, but so can a Gregory or an Osprey, for half the weight. Also, when looking at a pack, remember to base your pack around the gear, not your gear around the pack.

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
Sandbender, I also use a Crux AK57 as well as a Berghaus Vulcan, depending on what I'm doing, where I'm going and time of year (e.g. Vulcan, sans side pockets tends to be my ski-touring pack).

Cheers,

Paul

Catfish1972

Feb 11, 2013
London
I'll add another vote for Crux rucksacks. I loved the AK57 so much that I bought the AK70K and AK47X as well, just to cover all the bases! I took my 57K on my recent expedition to Sumatra and it was perfect for the job. It's very light for the volume, extremely tough (containing about 30% kevlar - it was originally designed to be dragged up sharp rock faces but it is equally good at surviving all the thorns and sharp things a jungle can throw at you) and sits very comfortably on my back. Best pack I've ever owned.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I loved the AK57 so much that I bought the AK70K and AK47X as well, just to cover all the bases!.."

You are well covered. :)

The difference between the AK47 and the AK47X is that the top pocket is removable on the latter, or it can be attached with a bit of slack on the straps to allow the wearer to cart maybe another 5 litres of gear underneath it. Which is handy when you need to set off with lots of food or water for a longer walk. Additionally for folks traveling to far away places you can use the top pocket on its own (with one of the pack side straps) as a 'carry on bag and as a shoulder bag for when you are out and about and away from your pack.

The AK47-X is only available in red, but it isn't a shiny red and it quickly develops a matt, worn in look.

There are lots of nice little details in these packs that the Crux website doesn't really go into, interested parties should find a shop that sells them and check them out.

:)

Last edited:

allfatherodin

Oct 24, 2011
hitchhiking europe
I have the Berghaus atlas, a slightly different version of the vulcan. i have been hitchhiking and hiking around Europe for a bit more than a year with around 40-55 pounds and its been great from Scotland to Greece. No problems thus far, and it still looks relatively new somehow (ive even tried making it dirty!)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Nothing wrong with the Vulcan, you don't have to fill it up to use it and the side pocket come off leaving a bag not much bigger than the sabre with side pockets

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
How about the Lightwave Wild trek series, I used the 60l one for wildcamping in Snowdonia. Carried my kit and my sons, lightweight and nearly as bombproof as my old army Berghaus Cyclops ROC.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
The reason I have recently gone down the ex military route is versatility more than anything else, there is plenty of room for odd shaped junk, and the ability to strap stuff on. The Lowe Alpine Sting (Dutch Army version) I got recently is no heavier than my somewhat vintage Vango 65ltr pack, and the back is more adjustable. It's the adjustable back I think that really recommends it.

Mind you for the average short bimble I still make do with a folding 20 something litre sack I can stuff in my pocket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE