What base layers do you use?

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Just wondering what base layers people use?
Im off to the woods and it looks very chilly out (-3)
Also where can i buy them?

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
There's lots of different makes, lots of different prices. Are you going to be very athletic and sweat a lot? If so, you'll want a wicking baselayer that gets sweat away from the skin. You could pay a fortune for one from a fancy shop, or you could get one for less than a tenner from Aldi or Lidl when they have them in. (good bits of kit too!)
Or, you can just wear a tee shirt under a fleece, under a decent top coat. That's usually what I do when I'm out and about. The best way to keep warm is a hat, scarf and gloves.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I like my Merino wool base layers. I'm sure I saw a post on one of the forums I'm on (could be this one) saying that Aldi had Merino base layers on offer at the moment.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Get the aldi merino base layers
There only issue is that the tops ain't long sleeve, but that can be worked around

Sent using the force

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Or, you can just wear a tee shirt under a fleece, under a decent top coat. That's usually what I do when I'm out and about. The best way to keep warm is a hat, scarf and gloves.

Make sure it's not a cotton T shirt, it will just get you cold and wet when you sweat. Make sure it's made of synthetic fibres. As the man says, some of the stuff from Lidl is good, it's available now, I believe.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
If you're buying merino as a base layer, its worth pressing it against your skin in the shop. Different people seem to have differing tolerance levels on the itch-scale. Personally, the Aldi stuff makes my skin itch like crazy..... even after repeated washes. Guess Im just a delicate ickle flower *cough*

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Yeah I wasn't very clear there - wicking tops for sweaty activities, ordinary tee shirts for non sweating stuff. But if you can get to Aldi, go for their merino stuff - it's good and it's a bargain at their prices!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The Aldi Merino is your best bet, if its too ithcy then the polypropylene set they have is also good :)

I use it, its good kit.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
SUMMER:
1) Boxer shorts
2) Socks (unless I'm wearing beach/river sandals or canoeing; in which case I skip the socks)
3) T-shirt (this might well be the ONLY layer)

WINTER:
1) Boxer shorts & T-shirt under long johns (possibly a full union suit) either wool or poly-propylene
2) Socks (either wool or poly-propylene)
3) Either a flannel or a wool shirt between the undergarments and the outer coat (but only if it's really, really cold (sub freezing with a heavy rain)
4) Glove liners (either wool or poly-propylene) under leather gloves

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Yeah I wasn't very clear there - wicking tops for sweaty activities, ordinary tee shirts for non sweating stuff. But if you can get to Aldi, go for their merino stuff - it's good and it's a bargain at their prices!

I hate wicking tops, the sweat sticks in them and I get cold! I also stink. Using cotton Ts I'm warm and don't stink. Using wool I'm relly warm and don't stink for days.

Elen Sentier

Base layers - silk. Can't afford to buy often but whenever I get bit of spare dough I buy some silk; socks, gloves, undies, vests, undershirts, longjohns. Great stuff, lasts for years - like my oldest, still good set, is 15 yrs old - you don't stink in it or get crotch rot etc. My sleeping bag liner is silk too, on a hot summer night it's all I need.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE