What are YOUR top 5 Outdoorsy type movies?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Lets share and maybe we can find some previously un-seens from other people's lists!
Mine are:

1) Jerhimia Johnson ( the best hands down )
2) Never cry wolf
3) Snow Walker
4) The Edge
5) Dursu Uzala ( Russian , Old, very good! )

Lets see what you got Ladies and Gentlemen!
:)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just watched Jeremiah Johnson today for the first time. It really is an awesome movie! The Edge is another firm favourite, I'd have to go and have a good think about the other three though.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Top 5? Oooh ... that's kind of a tough one to narrow down. But here goes ... (in no particular order)

Black Robe
Man in the Wilderness
Jeremiah Johnson
The Mountainmen
The New World

And also consider...

Grey Owl
Fishhawk
Death Hunt
- the above three are set in the early 1900's up in Canada out in the rural and wild areas

Enemy Mine - OK, sci-fi space opera, but still pretty good - two warring fighter pilots (a human and an alien) crash-land on a deserted planetoid and have to learn to work together to survive

The Pathfinder - or Ofelas -- the Sami legend
The Fast Runner - the Innuit/Eskimo legend

And the list can go on and on and on ...

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Wilderness

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Seraphim Falls = Really great movie! Just bumped "The Edge" From my list.

Also I watched "Death Hunt", good movie ( there really was a Mad Trapper , and the real story is better then the Hollywood Version. ) .

Next up I am going to watch "Rescue Dawn", I believe it is based on a Real story, in fact I think "RM" did a show on it in Extreme Survival !!

Lets hear from some of the BushBabes too!
;) ;)

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Not sure really about five as I haven't really saw that many but.

Last of the mochicans
White fang or call of the wild, can't actually remember which one it was I saw.
Enemy mine was pretty good.
Clan of the cave bear perhaps

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Oooh, good thread :D

Cast Away - the Tom Hanks film, not the one where Oliver Reed staggers about naked for most of the film while trying to chat up some pretty girl from the '70s.

Dog Soldiers - Does this count? It's got a lot of good shots of Scotland in it and always puts me in the mood for camping.

Deliverance

I can't think of any at the moment :eek: Give me a while and I'll come back to this.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Oooh, good thread :D

Cast Away - the Tom Hanks film, not the one where Oliver Reed staggers about naked for most of the film while trying to chat up some pretty girl from the '70s.

Dog Soldiers - Does this count? It's got a lot of good shots of Scotland in it and always puts me in the mood for camping.

Deliverance

I can't think of any at the moment :eek: Give me a while and I'll come back to this.

If It puts you in a camping type mood, it counts by me! Also, the effect weren't the best, but I really liked the flick!
ps: Cast away was great too!

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
It seems that I have missed out on a great number of good films here.
I haven't seen most of the films mentioned here.

First Blood is quite outdoorsy :BlueTeamE in a violent kinda way.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
My one buddy keeps nagging me to add

Carry On Camping

OK, I haven't seen it, but knowing him, it's some sort of physical tragedy/humor sex fest while out camping in the woods with scantily clad females. Hmmm ... mayhap I should go find it and watch it.;)

There are parts of several other movies that are good --- outdoors skills --- movies.

Man Called Horse - Englishman captured by Souix Indians while out on a hunting expedition on the Great Plains - who then lives as their slave and works up to adoption within the tribe. Some good aboriginal skills shown.

Ride With The Devil - an 1860's American Civil War film - set in western central Missouri about some local southern sympathizers running around as rebel guerilla(sp) fighters against the occupying Nothern army in the area around Kansas City Missouri and Lincoln Nebraska. It shows a lot of how they lived while hiding out in the hills and woods in the area. And the mud/stick hut/dugout shelter the 3 main characters make to spend the winter in is great! Even little details like busting up sticks over a knee or with a boot for use as firewood. It also shows the Southern point of view about most of the Civil War - or, as many still call it - the War of Northern Agression.

(Note: I'm a northern Iowa boy. Union territory. But if I had lived back then and still thought/believed as I do, I would have gone South to fight on their side.)

Rambo - First Blood. Yeah, his first movie showed a lot of those "make-do with what you have" survival type skills.

And I've been trying to remember the name of an old movie. It's about an Englishman on safari in southern Africa in the early 1800's who is captured, stripped, and then given the chance to "run for his life". It showed a lot of the simple skills you would have used to get by. Hmmm ... sounds a lot like the Man in the Wilderness (the story of Hugh Glass - a trapper in the 1820's in the Rocky Mountains who was mauled by a grizzly, left for dead with nothing but the clothes on his back, who then "survives" and hikes back out to catch up to the rest of the group.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Besides the odd hockey game, I do not have to watch TV at all for awhile!

So many great movies to check out !
So far I have not disliked any of your fav`s!

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
ime terrible with movie names so bear with me!

the one where anthony hopkins and 2 chums crash their plane in alaska and get hunted by a bear!

alive the plane crash on the andies.

mad max thunder dome!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The Edge is the one you describe with Anthony Hopkins and one of the many Baldwin brothers! I feel sorry for the actor who plays the guy that gets mauled, he always gets killed in films! He's almost as bad as Tom Sizemore for dying in movies!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE