What are you currently reading?

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Am I the only heathen here who will just fold the corner of the page if I’ve not got something else handy to mark the page with?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I just tap the bookmark icon in the corner of the screen. I might highlight a word or phrase and include a note of my own. I can find my notes in the text or find them collected together in numerical order and go straight back to text if I want to expand.

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Whatever the term is, my wife was feeling it when her Kindle failed and only updated touch screen versions were available.
It’s OK, happy ending! One of my children found her Gran’s old clicky Kindle in her attic and gave it to my wife.

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Whatever the term is, my wife was feeling it when her Kindle failed and only updated touch screen versions were available.
It’s OK, happy ending! One of my children found her Gran’s old clicky Kindle in her attic and gave it to my wife.

It’s funny getting to a point where people can refer to their granny’s ‘old’ Kindle. In my head some ‘old’ technology belonging to a granny would be an old bed warming pan or perhaps a transistor radio.

Funny how these things evolve. When what I consider to be fairly recent inventions become referred to in this manner it does focus attention on how quickly a long future slips into a distant past.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Transistors?
We had decent valves that kept the room warm and smelled of hot dust when you turned on the wireless.

Edited to add
@Chris
While I may have enjoyed a valve wireless in my youth and transistors in my early adulthood warming pans are older than MY Gran!

One of the problems I have with the question “What are you reading?” Is that as I habitually use a Kindle I’m reading at least four books at the same time and I’ll be referring to many more. This means that while for some people books are quantised - a clear cut sequence, my reading is a rolling merged continuum.

So Anne McCaffery and Jenny Colgan merge with Nietzsche and Hume, something about cable making, a leather work manual and several books of stories about trees.(I’ve got a story telling coming up!)

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Book or page darts? I have a kindle so no need for them. I just close the kindle cover and it goes to sleep. I open the cover and swipe to get back to where I stop. I can change the font sizxe for thsoe evenings when my eyes are tired form a week on the work computer. Or I can adjust the light up or more importantly down when I have a light sensitivity day.

BTW when I say kindle I am not talking the fire variant but the e-ink version. The fire are not real kindles but tablets and are nowhere near as nice to read a book on. Too much of a compromise for the non-reading activities a tablet needs to do.

For me paper does not feel anything special, it might mark me out as a bit different but the feel of an e-ink kindle swipe feels at least as nice as a paper book. I do not like writing in books or highlighting paper books with a marker,pen or pencil. It is wrong IMHO but the kindle yhou can do that then delete it when no longer needed. You can make notes and you can see other people's highlighted sections. It means you can see what others see as signigicant in a book.

Then if you did not have the kindle to hand no fear you can even use you smartphone, tablet or computer. I also have a smart tv and you can get apps on it. Perhaps even a kindle app, which would be interesting considering the remote is also a pointer device so you can use it like a distance swiping action. I will need to check this out sometime.

Sorry but a library of books on a kindle is the ultimate chill out time on holiday. How many times have you got you holiday paper book stash together and start reading one only to find out it is nowhere near as interesting as the jacket made it sound. So that is one book down. How many books do you carry with you on holiday? Not as many as my kindle can.

I forgot to charge my kindle before my holiday, a week in the spanish sun with the family. It was half down but still lasted the holiday and a few days at home. Obviously you have to recharge on longer trips but I have a 20k mAh packs for longer trips which will more than cope with charging a kindle for quite a long trip. There are some kindle models that are waterproof to some degree such as accidental drop into a meter of water.

Reactions: Pattree

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW I just finished Coffin Road by Peter May so I am now starting The Blackhouse by Peter May

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Sorry but a library of books on a kindle is the ultimate chill out time on holiday. How many times have you got you holiday paper book stash together and start reading one only to find out it is nowhere near as interesting as the jacket made it sound. So that is one book down. How many books do you carry with you on holiday? Not as many as my kindle can.

For a wild camping trip, I cut the half of the book I'd already read and took the unread half with me. The halves remain united on my bookshelf.

I always over-bring physical books so I'm not left short. I just like the feel of them over an electronic device.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
For a wild camping trip, I cut the half of the book I'd already read and took the unread half with me. The halves remain united on my bookshelf.

I always over-bring physical books so I'm not left short. I just like the feel of them over an electronic device.

Which way do you cut the book? :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Just finished Landlines by Raynor Winn, I've read the Salt Path, and Wild Silence, so now have read the triology of her books so far.

Just about to start the Dead Sea Scrolls Deception, by M Baigent, and R Leigh. Looks a dry read, but hopefully interesting enough. We will see.

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
From the outside this forum seems full of nice, likeable people. People you would trust to look after your first born, for instance. Or who'd rescue puppies without a thought for personal safety or the very real risk of wanting to keep them all.

Instead it turns out no paperback is safe. Dog-ears were bad enough, but full-blown dismemberment?! I'm shocked. Everyone knows you can only really safely take out the appendix...

Anyway, currently rereading Swallows and Amazons, just to uncharacteristically wander onto topic. Yes, I'm of maturer years than the intended target demographic. No, I don't care.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Anyway, currently rereading Swallows and Amazons, just to uncharacteristically wander onto topic. Yes, I'm of maturer years than the intended target demographic. No, I don't care.
I absolutely love that book, still. I must admit to occasionally picking up one of the Willard Price Adventure series books...they're still great. One series I'm sad to say really didn't re-enchant me was Brian Jacques Redwall. I had such fond memories of all of those, but decades later, they no longer click.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Same idea as your link, but the only part protruding is maybe 1mm where the steel folds over. I'll try and find a link when I'm back home.
I have a tin of these, they’re handy if you’re reading a book where you want to mark quotes or falling asleep in a complex bit. I’m reading a book on Jungian psychology, it’s got so many markers in it it would set off an airport alarm :D

Two currently for me: A second run through "Sailing Alone Around the World" by Capt Joshua Slocum. I am reading this in the evenings on my phone. I was gifted a book by a young woman I met on our annual summer missions work camp trip to Central Appalachia. She is from the county in Georgia around which these stories center. Very pleasant and homey and certainly a product of their time. "Epiphany" by Ferrol Sams.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE