What are you currently reading?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Is Johns calendar any good ? as a standalone
yup, its a good read and full of really good information on the species that are available month by month, albeit not every species, but he does list the main ones with a good amount of detail both written and photographic, but also provides a list of secondary species as he calls them for each month.

Id recommend the book to anyone as an addition to their library

Reactions: TeeDee

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
This...

Very much shades of grey compared to the oft quoted Prebble book from the 70s on the same subject. A surprisingly easy read. If you love or live Highlands or Lowlands it gives a very unexpected perspective on the land and it's people.... Or lack thereof.

Attachments

• IMG-20230612-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20230612-WA0012.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Minotaur and Toddy

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Well not currantly reading but just ordered a few books i know summer right now but i will save these for the winter bed read or for when i am bed bound as i have a major thing coming up on the 4th july the doc said may leave me bed bound for a week or 2 so getting ahead of the game , i got bushcraft 101 , bushcraft first aid i have a few on this anyway but i love a book in hard copy so to speak i have loads saved on the emergency laptop i also ordered the bushcraft 10 books , ok well will let you know what i think in time .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Reactions: gibson 175

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Since I was a young boy I’ve wanted an early edition of Charles Darwins the origin of species.
So I proudly invested in an 1889 edition.. can’t afford the original.
In reasonable condition, Smells beautiful, got a lovely creek when opened & it came with an brass book marker inscribed with the life works of Darwin.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
What a serious lot you are!

I admit to enjoying reading philosophy but it’s interspersed with all sorts of light reading. Much of it would be called “chick lit”. When it’s good it’s descriptive, engaging and I enjoy reading about affection. Soppy, probably but after a long dose of Nietzsche it is restorative. I need a holiday away somewhere sunny after exploring Existentialism - I really don’t know why I persisted!
I’m also very slowly getting through Pepys diaries. We haven’t learned a thing about politics since then!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
For a light and escapist read, it's any of the swallows and amazon's books, by Arthur Ransome. I have the whole set stacked by my bedside, and read then all at least once a year, having done so since I was a kid. I love escaping into that world of childhood freedom.
Currently reading, Going Zero, one family's journey to zero waste and a greener lifestyle. By Kate Hughes.
Have just finished, The Running Hare, the secret life of farmland, by John Lewis Stempel.

Reactions: gg012

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Just finished the Complete Works of Voltaire, really enjoyable read, just starting HG Wells 'First Men In The Moon'

Reactions: gibson 175

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What a serious lot you are!

I admit to enjoying reading philosophy but it’s interspersed with all sorts of light reading. Much of it would be called “chick lit”. When it’s good it’s descriptive, engaging and I enjoy reading about affection. Soppy, probably but after a long dose of Nietzsche it is restorative. I need a holiday away somewhere sunny after exploring Existentialism - I really don’t know why I persisted!
I’m also very slowly getting through Pepys diaries. We haven’t learned a thing about politics since then!

I do find it now difficult to read fiction , be it sci-fi , fantasy , thriller , horror - I just find it a now difficult journey and not quite the carthartic mind release it once was.

But equally I know what you mean , you can't just read heavy text book after heavy text book without feeling drained.

Reactions: Pattree

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Terry Pratchett - Thief of Time. For probably the fifth time now, as with all of his Discworld series.

I struggle to get into books these days, my mind wanders and I end up suddenly realising I can’t remember the last 5 pages even though I know the words went into my eyes! Really got into some historical podcasts though, so I get my brain stimulation whilst running or commuting.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Big Pratchet fan. Soul Music is one of my favourites. Death’s motorbike - all the glitter and roar but the substance all fallen away!

Reactions: Minotaur

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE