What are you currently reading?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearbait

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, Dee Brown.

I knew that the colonisation of North America by we Europeans, eventually called Manifest Destiny, wasn't a bright moment in our history. But I am stunned by the brutality of it: mass killings, genocide; stuff that would be considered War Crimes these days.

The sad thing is that this sort of behaviour is still going on in various places on our planet 150 or more years later. This is the 21st Century and I don't think that we have grown up at all. Or learnt much.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, Dee Brown.

I knew that the colonisation of North America by we Europeans, eventually called Manifest Destiny, wasn't a bright moment in our history. But I am stunned by the brutality of it: mass killings, genocide; stuff that would be considered War Crimes these days.

The sad thing is that this sort of behaviour is still going on in various places on our planet 150 or more years later. This is the 21st Century and I don't think that we have grown up at all. Or learnt much.

The truth is that the brutality went both ways and, even before the arrival of Europeans, between different tribes. Some of the most brutal massacres were between different tribes vying to be the main suppliers to the European fur trade.

I think I mentioned it earlier (probably 20 pages up or more), the book 'The Company' by Stephen Bown, published in 2020, covers the history of the Hudson Bay Company and details the early part of native North American and European trade and conflict. By the time it go to the late 1800's there was already too much distrust both ways :(

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The truth is that the brutality went both ways and, even before the arrival of Europeans, between different tribes. Some of the most brutal massacres were between different tribes vying to be the main suppliers to the European fur trade.
Indeed - and can be applied to many native tribes & people on many many continents.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I'm afraid I get rare an opportunity to read nowadays but I'm rattling through audiobooks on my commute.

I've just started the last in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series.

Part of me didn't want to start the last book because then the adventure would be over.
Just finished the last book, well worth it, I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants a bit of a wild west adventure.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've just finished "Act of Oblivion" by Robert Harris - a bit ponderous in places but interesting in a broad kind of way. For work, I have completed "The Lie Tree" by Frances Hardinge - a proto-Victorian fable with some superb descriptive passages.

I've moved on to "Spying on the Reich" by R.T. Howard and am also re-reading "The Secret Lives of Colour" by Kassia St Clair, which is a wonderful, interesting and engaging volume.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Bought that Entymologicon book today.
I'm looking forward to starting it.

I see he's written another on old and disused words and I thought to myself, 'I'll read that next.'
And now I'm home and kicking myself that I didn't buy it at the same time.
Doh!

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Bought that Entymologicon book today.
I'm looking forward to starting it.

I see he's written another on old and disused words and I thought to myself, 'I'll read that next.'
And now I'm home and kicking myself that I didn't buy it at the same time.
Doh!

You dumperfergler!!

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
The Romantic - William Boyd.

Loved Any Human Heart, Love is Blind and his Bond book Solo - highly recommend them.

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
I'm afraid I get rare an opportunity to read nowadays but I'm rattling through audiobooks on my commute.

I've just started the last in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series.

Part of me didn't want to start the last book because then the adventure would be over.
Probably still my favourite book series, along with the Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde.

I was glad to read the Dark Tower on Kindle as I was looking up words every other page!
Sorely tempted to give it a re-read.

Long days and pleasant nights.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I am reading 1984 once again, it is a scarily prescient book when viewed through the lens of our current world.

Sent from underground

Reactions: Kadushu

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I'm about half way through 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood.
It really is an extremely good book and deserves ever bit of recognition it's received.
So glad to be reading it.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Currently reading a fantasy book. Dawn of the ranger by someone. 4 pages in and I think I'll finish it. If a book doesn't interest me quickly I can't read it.

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
We are always reading books i download and save to my EMP laptop box and we also love a real world book as in the event the world goes to hell in a handcart books will be our light in the darkness , on that note we have loads of books on medical herbs and food plants and foraging books but i just got my wife "WildFood UK Foraging pocket guide " and she is loving it i will get a read after her lol but a happy wife = a happy life

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE