What are you currently reading?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com

'Iron Coffins: A Personal Account Of The German U-boat Battles Of World War II' by H Werner.

An interesting read from the German perspective. As a former merchant navy officer I have a particular dislike for Uboats and their crews. Interesting to note that they always talked about the number and tonnage of ships they sank, never the lives of the merchant seaman lost. The battle of the Atlantic was hell indeed.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

'Iron Coffins: A Personal Account Of The German U-boat Battles Of World War II' by H Werner.

An interesting read from the German perspective. As a former merchant navy officer I have a particular dislike for Uboats and their crews. Interesting to note that they always talked about the number and tonnage of ships they sank, never the lives of the merchant seaman lost. The battle of the Atlantic was hell indeed.

Not heard of that one , must have been under the radar for me...

• Haha
Reactions: MattyWW

MattyWW

Feb 11, 2023
Leamington Spa
Just got 'Rewild your mind' by Nick Goldsmith – absolutely brilliant. He's a good storyteller, and natural teacher. If you're not familiar with his youtube channel, he's an ex-Royal Marine Commando, and after serving several tours, he set up a bushcraft centre, which as he says, has literally saved his life because of complex PTSD.
719Cq5dp1wL.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2020
Wales
British Woodland. Ray Mears.

Oh, I have a birthday coming up and was thinking of hinting to my other half this would be a very welcome addition to the shelf.

What's it like?

I'm currently just wrapped up in a bit of a bleak part of recent history:

Aneirin

Dec 6, 2021
Llanfair Caereinion
Oh, I have a birthday coming up and was thinking of hinting to my other half this would be a very welcome addition to the shelf.

What's it like?

That looks good, thanks for posting that. Just got it on Audible.

Reactions: ShinyKitSyndrome

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've almost finished 'The English Monster' by Lloyd Shephard. A rivetting read.

"London, 1811: The twisting streets of Wapping hold many an untold sin. Bounded by the Ratcliffe Highway to the north and the Dock to the south, shameful secrets are largely hidden by the noise of Trade. But two families have fallen victim to foul murder, and a terrified populace calls for justice.

Based on the real-life story of the gruesome Ratcliffe Highway murders, The English Monster takes us on a voyage across centuries."

Reactions: Aneirin and TeeDee

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I'm afraid I get rare an opportunity to read nowadays but I'm rattling through audiobooks on my commute.

I've just started the last in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series.

Part of me didn't want to start the last book because then the adventure would be over.

Hodge

Nomad
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands

What's it like?

Only part way through! Author has an easy style of writing. Each chapter has a particular theme and Ray looks at which species of tree are best for a particular role such as: fire, food, weapons and fibre etc. Book only available in hardback and Kindle version. A paperback version will be released in due course.

May 17, 2020
Wales
Only part way through! Author has an easy style of writing. Each chapter has a particular theme and Ray looks at which species of tree are best for a particular role such as: fire, food, weapons and fibre etc. Book only available in hardback and Kindle version. A paperback version will be released in due course.

Sounds like my sort of thing!

Hardback is fine, as it'll stay out home. I have enough in the pack to take out anyway...

Reactions: Minotaur

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
That book has got 'ME' written all over it. Definitely one for the list.

British Woodland. Ray Mears.
Ray has a nice easy style to read, and this is another book I know I'll love to read. That's also made it on the list.

How to read a tree, Tristan Gooley - Quite informative, he definitely knows his stuff...
I struggle reading Gooley's stuff - I just don't seem to get on with his tone and style. But this also sounds like a cracking read and another one that's been written for me. One to browse for in Waterstones, but I'll almost certainly end up buying it and then dread reading.

I've just finished 'Everlast' by Rebecca Hunt.
It's a fictional account of an antarctic exploration with two timelines set 100 years apart. It's a simple narrative and read that will get you absolutely gripped. It's the kind of book that's waiting to be added to an English Literature syllabus on truth, representation, and post-modernism. But you don't have to read it like that at all, it can read for it's own enjoyment and as a good story in its own right.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE