What are the straps for?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Antonymous

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2012
Yorkshire
I picked up a great little bag, but was wondering what the straps underneath were originally designed to hold, particularly the press stud strap at the back. Can anyone shed any light.

I believe it was Yugoslavian.

serbpackag.jpg

Antonymous

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2012
Yorkshire
The straps have a double section at the back that is fastened by a press stud. Does anyone know what this section is for?

I would have guessed poncho or blanket for the main straps, but is that what they were designed for? I guess I'll have to wait for an ex-JNA for the definitive answer.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I picked up a great little bag, but was wondering what the straps underneath were originally designed to hold, particularly the press stud strap at the back. Can anyone shed any light.

I believe it was Yugoslavian.

I have one of those, I replaced the back straps with leather ones. As for the hanging straps, well I would suggest anything that is too big to go into the main pack and can be rolled up. I use the snap straps for tent poles, and the hanging straps for a waterproof. Interesting pockets inside, the big one is about right for a swiss army volcano stove, and you can arrange it so that it forms a pocket on the outside, so there is more room inside. You can stuff an awful lot into it if you try. Also you can ditch the back straps and use a single shoulder strap, a very versatile little pack IMHO.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The straps have a double section at the back that is fastened by a press stud. Does anyone know what this section is for?

Sometimes military packs have press studs if things need to be got at quickly, rather than undoing a buckle and strap, not sure if that's the case here

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I used it to carry my two dogs boreal shirt as it won't fit inside.
I think the pop stud bit might be to fit onto a webbing belt to stop it bouncing too much?

that's better than anything I came up with. If you imagine it as part of a belt kit it does seem a very sensible idea.....cos they don't really hold anything in without having a blanket or some such in the larger straps to tighten the little press stud part up, even then I don't think i'd trust it to stand up to a combat situation

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Aye, that's what I tried (badly) to say....an axe or saw does slide in there nicely but I wouldn't trust it without at least having something in the larger straps to tighten it up

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I'd go along with the idea that the press stud straps are to attached it to the belt. But don't these bags have an attached internal pocket or pouch that can come out, though remains attached? What do you suppose they're for? Mess kit, maybe?

Sometimes military gear is introduced with certain features that remain long after the original purpose has come and gone, like the little side pocket on the right hand side of the right hand pouch of a British P58 web set. Or watch pockets on pants.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE