what are peoples opinions of army pouches?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I use a surplus haversack, I think a gas mask bag, if I'm spending the day in the woods and fields locally. Just the right size to hold the GB Mini, the Swiss Army volcano flask some grub and bits and pieces. It doesn't seem to stand out too much. I've got some green belt-pouch things but to be honest I'm not so mad on wearing those on a belt since it kind of looks as if I'm playing at soldiers. Of course they're just perfect for carrying the metal mug and water bottle. If I'm carrying camera gear on a belt then I don't mind using those pouches, the camera bags are a bit of camouflage for the pouches....

Justin
ps welcome to the forum

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i love the stuff but i too realise the danger of looking like some SAS dude! :roll:

i think i've tried every army system going, and still have some at home but i hate the look!

when i'm off on walks or pottering around in woods, i have no problem putting on some pouches.

i have used a vest type and chest type pouches also they all are really handy.

a place for everything and everything in it's place :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
do you mean the gas mask bag or webbing pouches?

if the gas mask bag, these can be added to almost any bag either attach it to a gear loop or wear it round the waist.

webbing is slightly different.

depends if you have a "long back" rucksack or not (long back meaning it has an internal frame and it extends from hip to sholder).

i tend to see webbing the oposite way, ie webbing is my standard gear anything else fits in a daysack (part of the PLCE system).

if you are thinking aout using webbing borrow some, and try to fit all your gear in the pouches before adding a backpack.

the main neggative point about webbing is it can clash with rucksacks badly, as i say try it out, it works well for me!

nowerdays there are lots of variations on the origional webbing, so theres lots to choose from! you don't have to be covered in DPM!

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
an old 58 patern web belt and a couple of amunition pouches and water bottle pouches with slits (small) cut in the bottom with a bungy run through to bring them together to stop them flailing around works well for a belt order,apologies if i`ve just done an egg sucking demo there :-D

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i have a couple of ammo pounches, a gasmask bag and 2 bottle carrier. I hate the look ! the ammo pounches are also pretty small. It also get tangled up with mine backpack straps. i do NOT like them, the PLCE webbing set also cost way way to much € 229 :shock: i'm thinking of getting a vest or chest rig.. but thats in the far far future...

I just bought a pair of Berghaus Vulcan sidepockets, with a pair of shoulderstraps. They are very simliar to the PLCE side pockets, the zippers on the side are identical, so they are compataible to anybackpack that fits PLCE pockets. i only paid slightly more than € 40 for the sidepockets and the straps, the PLCE pockets goes for € 72.50 and a yoke for € 47.50 :shock: so that made mine choice very obvious. These bags looks great for short daytrips ! haven't tested it yet, but they are the right size.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
oh!!! :yikes:

i fear you might be shopping for webbing in the wrong shop!!!

for a full set PLCE brand new, is not much more than £80!

if you buy 2nd hand you are looking at around £50!

i made myself up a combination of pouches for around £20!

by the way berghaus used to make the PLCE rucksack! sadly it dosen't anymore but you will find Berghuas side pockets fit the PLCE rucksack!
berghaus was too expensive so the MOD opted for a cheaper firm!

this is why i use as PLCE bergan, because i "know" it is good quality!

i suggest you try a chest rig/vest before you by they suit some and not others!

i have all three! though my vest and chest webbing rarely get used!

since starting my outdoor leadership course i am more inclined to use my webbing as it is more acceptable than the chest or vest pouches!

advantage traditional webbing(PLCE 58, 44, 37 alice ect):

you can adjust pouches move them round take them off ect.
it is very comfy.
everything has it's own place (you never loose anything!)
it gives you a low center of balance(good on rough ground)
you can get to kit without going in your bergen.

disadvantage:
looks (it is overtly military)
it can get caught on rocks branches, especially small gates!

advantage vest/chest webbing (PLCE, Arktis, US armyect)
it is more comfortable
easy to put on take off
the load is closer to you

disadvantage:
looks(you will look like a trooper! another reason i don't use mine))
you can overheat
it can get fouled by a bergen.
it has less capacity!
when put on the ground it gets filthy which then goes on your back!

hope this is useful

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
well it's the only shop i know that sells PLCE webbing ! you have to go to specialized store's to buy this stuff, the rest just sell suplus junk and still over charge you dearly !

well i also though of some kind of fishermen vest, they are more sheeple friendly. but they are smaller... the arktis jungle vest looks good, but the ammo pounches are not ideal, i prefer utility pounches on the vest only. but i got plenty of time to think, this week or next week i'm gonna order a laplader, mora and a billycan first, then next paycheck is going to be a karrimore sabre 45 ( i got to mound those sidepockets on something ! :p ).. etc. no vest/rig/webbing insight anywhere soon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE