what are good but fair priced equipment

Nov 5, 2012
carlisle
Bassically i am looking to start getting some good tools for wood work and bushcraft in general all so cheap but good and durable camping equiptment please guys ur advice is truly valuable to me and any advice is good advice

thanks all

liam

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Cheap & durable = army surplus

Add a Mora or a Hultafors knife & you're all set. This question has been asked quite a few times before...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Who's selling the Moras cheapest just now ? and the laplander saw ? it used to be Amazon, but I don't think they're doing the special offer just now :dunno:

While we're on the subject though.....decent cheap carving and crook knives ? Where's best to buy them too ?

Liam, it really depends on what you're likely to do. You could end up buying masses of kit that you'd never use. Some of the bushcraft books and magazines are good reads and informative too though :)

cheers,
Toddy

Nov 5, 2012
carlisle
Well toddy what work i have done with wood so far i love :) but im all so realy into camping and well survival skills but i am realy into woodcraft thats my main joy that and camping :)

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
For good value as you enjoy woodwork, I would suggest you purchase a crook knife blade from http://www.nicwestermann.co.uk aka nic. of this parish. You will need to put your own handle on it but it is well worth the effort as it is a far more usable tool than a mora crook knife and will be infinitely easier to use and sharpen. Not much more expensive but will make spoon carving a joy and not so much of a chore.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey Toddy, and Liam if thy be interested

The crook knife I have been using for 3 years now I got from Svante Djarv, cost me only 30euro's so about 23 pounds and is a dream to work, only needs sharpening after about a month or 4 and I am vigorous sharpener and carver,
not sure if they are as cheap and as obtainable in britain though but I'll do a quick web search,....

okay so not as cheap as we have them here but still not to bad, I'm by the way talking about the small hook knife, the SK101 or 102, depending left or right, and I found it a pain to sharpen my mora hook knife every single time.
But might you have the time and confidence you can always buy one of the many smith's crook knife blanks, Like Dave he sells some pretty nice ones for I believe it was between the 10 and 15 pounds, but then you have to handle them yourself, but then again that is a nice adventure as well

I also wanted to say Liam, get yourself one of eden qualities wetstones the 2000/5000 ones they are cheap, work pretty fast, and with a means to sharpen something you can make something worth into something very valuable in the bushcrafters eye ^^ and try some stuff out, cause if you have a knife and some craftsmanship in your possession, you can make wonders out of all sorts of materials, and add some needle and thread and you have an even wider arrange from stuff people other wise would have thrown away, and if you then decide you want to upgrade you can alway buy something professionally made in the end

And as a last one it a bit of a cruel but proven one, if you are looking for ridiculously cheap woodworking tools, old people, or recently deceased often sell tools which are damage or ill maintained but are true gems, all they need is about 3 hours of elbow grease and some grits of sandpaper and a whetstone, so spread the word that you are looking for stuff like old tools, and you'll see people bring all sorts of oddities towards ya ^^
Hope that is advice you appreciate

Yours sincerely Ruud

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2012
carlisle
Ruud thank you so much for that vsluable advice i agree totaly with what you are saying haha and you arr right the old tools are all ways better made :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE