What animal(s) did this?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
In my local nature reserves there are a couple of sequoia (I think - they're huge conifers, about 6 feet diameter). Both of them looked like they'd been wire brushed - initially thought it was yobs (who have tried to set them alight at some point) but it extends a long way up the tree (at least 20') and seems an odd choice of vandalism.

Seems a huge area of damage if it's squirrels
9417b374.jpg

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
not too sure about dear jonathan, not 20' up a tree anyway!

squirrels? many many wasps? large bear? in all honesty i have no idea at all

stuart

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I have just done a quick check because I've just realised you're in E.Sussex and it seems that there have been 'sightings' of Pine Marten although I can't find anything concrete.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Was there bark on the ground around the tree ? ( animals would would have left a mass of bark on the ground)......if not I'd say someone had stripped the bark it to make mulch.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Seems like an awful lot of trouble for a bit of mulch but didn't see any bark around. Will go & have another look. Pine marten theory is interesting - what time of day are they usually active?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Normally nocturnal. I'm clutching at straws really I think, it's just the only thing I can think of with some decent sized claws and the ability to climb that high.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Pine martins are not on my list, apart from the odd territory scratch they don't de-bark trees & prefer smaller trees with plenty of side branches.
If it's in a nature reserve, how about contacting a warden or something & asking,.... they probably have a better idea of what's happened than us.

As for my mulch theory, sequoia bark does make an excellent mulch & when added to soil helps with water retention. People nowadays seem to steal the strangest things & if there's & bob to be made, anything's possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE