East Sussex, UK
OK, just been back. Here's some more pictures:

1) Extent of the damage:

ec8d6f2b.jpg

2) A close up of what look like claw marks:

08aaacbb.jpg

3) My father pretending to be a ruler:

3429eb9c.jpg

I have contacted a warden to see if he's got any ideas. Perhaps someone has nicked it for mulch - pulled it off in strips? There don't seem to be any obvious cut marks at the base, though. Could someone have ripped it off by hand to cover a debris shelter?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Great photos, we can really see the enigma now. Southey's idea of the tree changing/shedding bark did sound like a good one, but the fact there are no strips of bark on the ground, poses a problem, unless, as you suggest, someone took them away.............I don't know what to think now.
The hole looks more like an exit hole of a wood eating grub.
What is all that brown/reddish debris around the tree ?...it looks like shredded bark.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Only taken on my iPhone - nothing special. The debris is composed of needles and leaves - didn't really see any bark on the ground. Will have another look tomorrow

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
But if it's coming off in huge strips like my photo, where are they? Can't believe it's all rotted down so quickly.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
It could be very tasty to the local creatures, and carried off over night for a good munch,

nope, a mid post search on google reveals this damage done by..............
2858123207_5cc14a6c65.jpg
..............Squirrels!

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I've seen a sequoia near Bristol with the entire trunk looking like that. It seemed healthy too. I suspect it's a natural process for the tree.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Must be natural by the amount of 'damage'.

keep mind these trees can survive fire,so not much can harm them.

I mean that it doesn't seem like animal unless squirrel.

Treecreepers use the bark to nestle into for roosting, that's the extent of my avian knowledge of said trees.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've seen a sequoia near Bristol with the entire trunk looking like that. It seemed healthy too. I suspect it's a natural process for the tree.

On further investigation into species, I suspect you are right. This particular tree has needles like the ones on the right of the photo, which means it's a coastal redwood (sequoia sempervirens). The equally huge tree also in the nature reserve is a Wellingtonia (giant redwood, sequoiadendron giganteum) with needles like the ones in the middle:

500bf0ed.jpg

The picture of the bark in my Collins book looks fuzzy like the one in my local park (a bit like this: http://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/look.../tree-of-the-month/tree-archive/giant-redwood) so it looks like it probably is a natural process, although I wouldn't be surprised if some squirrels had contributed too :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE