Wetterlings Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I have a wetterlings wildlife hatchet, which with some help from British Red I reprofiled and now I love it. I was wondering whether anyone could explain why it is that in the US Wetterlings are about half the price of GB and yet over here there isn't a great price difference? (am I just looking in the wrong places?)
Heath

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
I have a wetterlings wildlife hatchet, which with some help from British Red I reprofiled and now I love it. I was wondering whether anyone could explain why it is that in the US Wetterlings are about half the price of GB and yet over here there isn't a great price difference? (am I just looking in the wrong places?)
Heath

a while ago they were on ebay for around £25-30 but they have seemed to have gone up:eek: althow you can still get the husqvarna hatchet for £25 but they are now made by hulks aparently??

pete

dixienormns

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2011
meadowview Va. usa
a wetterlings axe are great do not file or grind the edge if u want it razor sharp i us 800 1200 and 4000 grit Japanese water stones and mine stays razor sharp all the time

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I've got a couple of wetterlings axes and several gransfors, as well as lots of other brands. I try to use all of my axes so that I get a feel for which is better for particular things (lots of toys so I may as well pick favourites :D )

BR is right in that the wetterlings are not well finshed out of the box, certainly compared to gransfors axes. But they are half the price and if you can't sort out a poorly ground/sharpened axe then you shouldn't be using it! I almost universaly prefer my wetterlings to my gransfors as it happens.

like underwear, it's all personal preference.

I agree Dave, i have several Grannie bruks and i have a Wetterlings which i have had for a long time it had no issues ,maybe got it before they had issues but it is my favourite axe !The only thing i did,nt like was the wood was varnished,no big deal to put right though.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Got a Wetterlings 19" axe as well, performs very well. Can't remember if there was something wrong with the grind, suppose not since I can't remember.

BUT: the grind is uneven - 1 side is almost flat, the other side is convex. Works fine but when I emailed them about it (thought it was done on purpose) they were VERY surprised.

Any other with a "1-sided" Wetterlings axe?

PS: sheath is better than GB's - thicker leather and sturdier make.
PS 2: same size GB feels a little lighter, and the handle has a bigger knob (no pun intended) at the end which feels more secure.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE