Wetterlings Axe Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Theo01

Mar 7, 2006
Gloucestershire, UK
I bought this axe at the KNIVESUK show in Bristol a few months back.
Its called the 'Hunters' axe - similar to Gransfor Wildlife Hatchet - but cheaper which is a bonus.
Its your standard axe really; hickory wood helve, forged steel head.

my.php

Overall its 12 ½" long, with a 2.75" face - so in fact somewhere in between a Gransfors Wildlife and a Mini.
The head is forged in Sweden by an individual smith and the helve tuned on a lathe.

my.php

It also comes with a leather sheath, which also has an attached belt loop.

http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00203ll2.jpg

In use it is very comfortable; the helve has been shaped well and the finish is smooth, clean wood, with a lanyard hole.
The belt loop on the sheath also works well and can accommodate up to a 1 ½" belt. The pop stud on the sheath is also excellent and can't be pulled off too eaisily.

It is nice and small, so perfect for carving. Chopping branches of about 3" is no problem - green as well as dead.
The head has a good weight in it too. The poll is polished and makes a good hammer.
The helve and head are fixed with a wooden wedge and a metal ring to hold it all in place.

Overall a fantasic axe that will eaisily fit into a rucksack or shoulder bag, and will not take a chunk out of your wallet - I bought it for just £20 and if you shop around retails for about the same (excl. P+P).

Any questions or want more pics...?

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Just to avoid confusion for anyone who wants to order one on description I'm not sure that one is the Wetterlings Hunter's Axe - I've got one and it has a rounded poll for skinning animals and the helve/handle is also much longer - that looks more like one of their hatchets. I'll stick a photo up tomorrow for comparison if I get a chance.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wetterlings do a Small and Large Hunters axe - the Large Hunters is 18" helve and I think the small 14". The Belt Axe is 10" so I guess this one is the one between small Hunter and belt. Nice little thing though and a very good price at £20. Probably need a load of work on the bevel and ramps but then all Wetts and most GBs do

Red

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've been able to test the wetterlings hatchet and the gransfors one side by side, and I can safely say that I will not be buying any more Gransfors axes :eek:

I've had the granny for about 8 years and have used it a lot, so I know what it can do and how it performs. My other half bought a wetterlings version at last year's UK knifeshow (or rather I bouth it for her as payment for helping me flog my gear at teh show ;) ). lately I have been needed to use a hatchet a great deal in the woods and I've been finding that I would rather use hers than mine. why?

Well, I first used the Wetterlings earlier this year when I had a bow making course and obviously need to an axe to hack out the stave. I carved mine out with my Granny and when I helped SHMBO (not very well, so couldn't swing an axe for very long) to carve hers out, I used her Wetterlings. The heads are very similar in shape and size, with the wetterlings a little thicker behind the edge. The handles were teh real difference though. The wetterlings is much fuller than the Granny, which means that it is far more comfortable to use for prolonged periods (such as carving a bow from a tree!). The edge retention between teh two was as far as I could tell the same (though i think maybe the wetterlings may be a little tougher as it goes). True enough the bevels did need tidying up for optimum efficiency, but that's no real hardship, even my Gransfors did a bit!

And as has been mentioned, they are half the price of a Gransfors axe!

Does anybody know where I can find a felling axe from Wetterlings? I've looked about but can't find any on the net :eek:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
One of the things I like best about my Cegga is the thicker helve and the comfort over extended periods that comes with it.

I was interested in a GB Scandinavian FA, but I'll look out for the Wtterlings equivalant now - thanks Dave.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE