Wetsuit.......?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Raptordog

Aug 22, 2006
swamps of Barnsley
Forgive me if I have missed a topic or thread in relation to this, I did a search and very little came up on the subject.
Its something that keeps popping up in my mind and I would like to lay it to rest, what are the possible uses or even a place for the use of a wetsuit in bushcraft.

Looking at the properties of these suits and that of neoprene, they appear to provide some good attributes that are sort after, i.e. insulation/ wind proof/ thermal protection from cold and also the sun, if not a full suit there are half suits/ vests/ socks/ gloves and hoods also available which could have their uses.
The price of these items has now become in the reach of most, the only down side appears to be they are not very robust and could easily tear in general bush craft activities and also I am unsure as to how breathable efficient these things are.
With the British weather we are having of late maybe we will all be in need of one soon.:rolleyes:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I wear one if there is a good chance of getting wet whilst canoeing, such as rescue training, but they aren't very comfortable and not at all breathable so I don't wear one for the majority of the time. As for wearing one in the woods, I can imagine the rashes and smell that would develop after a couple of hours!
They aren't really designed,or much use, for dry working, they get too hot too quick when hanging round on the bank, and restrict movement too much.
Gloves and maybe socks in certain conditions might be viable but not a wetsuit, IMO anyway.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
and they aint windproof either. That is why most surfing wetsuits have a rubber "titainium" panel on the chest - to provide some wind protection. Try surfing a even in a moderate breeze and you'll soon feel the wind when out of the water.

And the very sweaty when dry and flaming cold when wet if you are not a) in the water out of the wind and b) doing some physical activity.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Totally agree with all. I bought short and long sleeve titanium lined neo tops for kayaking and also 3/4 length paddling pants. The pants are great but I find the tops a bit suffocating. They are great if you're gonna get wet but otherwise I prefer thin quick dry material.

I use neoprene gloves for deerstalking and find these good for cold spring and autumn. They are too cold for cold winter days and obviously too hot for summer.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
But, just like layers of clothing with a goretex outer are used on the hill or in the ulu it is also used by serious divers in the form of drysuits. Most good drysuits are made from goretex and these are backed up by fleece garements worn underneath.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Non breathable dry suits are great if you are getting seriously wet as even breathables don't work when the surface is wetted out!

Raptordog

Aug 22, 2006
swamps of Barnsley
Thanks for the info guys, that’s put that one to rest, guess it looks like horses for courses, good for the purpose that they were originally designed for, but not very flexible to use in other fields.:rolleyes:

willie

Forager
Sep 25, 2004
aberdeen,scotland
www.google.com
Ive only used wetsuits when diving, and i personally would not think about wearing it if i wasent in / under the water. Where as drysuits are the same for me only ever came across the non breathable ones which i used when diving out of the water for 10 mins and you'll be sweating like hell, Well i was :p

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
and they aint windproof either. That is why most surfing wetsuits have a rubber "titainium" panel on the chest - to provide some wind protection. Try surfing a even in a moderate breeze and you'll soon feel the wind when out of the water.

And the very sweaty when dry and flaming cold when wet if you are not a) in the water out of the wind and b) doing some physical activity.

Have you've tried blowing through a wetsuit? Guess not, since it's impossible. They are windproof, the reason you experience cold is because the wind cools the suit of. Even if you wear a 'windproof' dress (e.g. gore tex jacket and bibs) you would soon be cold anyway if you didn't have insulation under, no matter how much you activate yourself.

Been windsurfing since I was a little boy, so I agree you do get could even in a breeze.

I do however like them when diving, preferably freediving. Pity I'm not allowed to spearhunt here :(

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Neoprene beach shoes are good footwear for in camp of an evening. You can sleep in them too, making the midnight old mans' trip to the toilet less of a chore!

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Yep very much with Goose on this one, due to the lack of breathability it would not be too long before you started to overheat.

I've never worn on other than ages ago for water skiing. However, wearing one in the woods!!!! I thought the whole idea of Bushcraft was to get closer to the things we love and enjoy. To,literally, insulate yourself from that experience by wearing a wetsuit in the woods seems, forgive my personal view here,incomprehersible.:eek:

Raptordog

Aug 22, 2006
swamps of Barnsley
Good point Fred :) ...... and one which may answer the second part of my question in the original post, if they were of any use in bushcraft would they really be a place for them.
Perhaps not.

After all Spiderman of the woods somehow doesn’t look so appealing..... does it. lol :eek:

7mm-man.jpg

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
I use a pair of 5mm neoprene boots in the woods in the colder months for tracking/hunting, and also as alternative footwear for in camp. They are very heavy duty and I've never had a problem with the durability.
They pack up very small and light too, warm, comfy.
They can get a bit clammy after prolonged periods, but if you wear wool underneath you really don't notice it too much, similar to wearing gore-tex boots for a long time.

Raptordog

Aug 22, 2006
swamps of Barnsley
There is a use for neoprene....."Tinder":lmao:

Nice one Will, looks like you have got the bow well sorted out there, still got to master that one, fire steel and birch bark about my limit at the moment :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE