Wetforming Leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Using hot water instead of cold to wetform stops it stiffeneing as much. Other than that, not much to be done. Anyway, a sheath wants to be as stiff as possible, the stiffer it is the more resistant to cutting it is. As said, a softened wet form sheath will lose its grip after a short time and lose its form to some degree. I use a hairdryer to dry mine for a bit more stiffness :)

Thanks for the advice. :)

HB - Its not a sheath that I am making at the moment, it's a pouch for my compass, which fits nicely so I didnt want it to be dead stiff after wetforming it. I havent wetformed it yet but I think I may pass and go ahead and dye it. Just got a problem the screw for the stud I am using is magnetic :( so I will have to get a non-mag one somehow.
Thanks for the tip on using hot water - does it have to be hot hot for that?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thanks for the advice. :)

HB - Its not a sheath that I am making at the moment, it's a pouch for my compass, which fits nicely so I didnt want it to be dead stiff after wetforming it. I havent wetformed it yet but I think I may pass and go ahead and dye it. Just got a problem the screw for the stud I am using is magnetic :( so I will have to get a non-mag one somehow.
Thanks for the tip on using hot water - does it have to be hot hot for that?

Just what comes from the tap mate. No need for more than that. If its too hot for your hand, then consider that too hot for the leather, what burns one will burn the other, they are both skin after all. :)

The leather will shrink if its too hot, shrivel up even.

Something I have found when I make a sheath is that the dye stiffens it up a lot - as though it was wetformed.

If I then give it a light coating of olive oil, it softens the leather just a tiny bit (I think it counteracts the drying effect of the spirits in the dye) but it doesn't make it soft. Just a little more pliable. It is still possible to wet the leather again afterwards and form it around the knife.

By 'coating' of olive oil I mean a light coating - applied by means of a J-cloth which has had a teaspoon of oil poured onto it. I can usually do a whole sheath with about 2.5-3 teaspoons of oil.

You can still wax it afterwards, but is best done after dyeing, as the oil will prevent even absorption of the dye.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE