Wet weekend bug hotel projects

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I was stuck most of the garage all weekend because of the weather, the place has never been so tidy and organised. With nothing left to put away I started making some bug hotels. This one was just going to be a log with holes drilled in it but I fancied trying a bit of carving so mushroomed the top of it. First attempt at garving anything. I used a GB mini hatchet and wood saw and finished with a power-file. The power-file was just the job to burn some nice gills under the cap too.

DSC01657_zpsf0018dc1.jpg

and in pride of place tucked away in the bushes

160613_zps4ea76293.jpg

The second box is a bit more basic. Knocked up using off cuts and half filled with bamboo. It would be full but I've run out of canes after putting up the bean poles this week. The loft space is full of pine cones, sticks, bark and offcuts of bamboo.

DSC01655_zpsb2a82519.jpg

DSC01651_zps3daaced0.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That is excellent work. I love the assorted diameter holes in the upper part.

For larger diameter holes (or just a change) try cutting some lengths of elder and pushing the soft central pith out.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
For larger diameter holes (or just a change) try cutting some lengths of elder and pushing the soft central pith out.

Thanks for the idea. I've got to trim an elder back in the autumn so I'll save some and give that a go.

There's some great builds on this website if anyone is thinking of having a go at one themselves http://www.inspirationgreen.com/insect-habitats.html

Hopefully bug houses will get a bit more common and lead to people making more permanent habitats in their gardens. I like to think we keep our garden pretty habitat rich but I wanted to try the bamboo tube idea after finding some kind of leaf cutter bee chewing lumps out of one of the plants last year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE