Wet hammock advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
I've just spent two nights at brockwell wood wild camping with my dd travel hammock, I had a problem with a lot of condensation on the inside of the hammock, to the point where it was a little uncomfortable and made the outside of my sleeping bag wet.

Now I know it didn't rain so I'm guessing it must be a great ability issue with choosing the travel hammock which has a PU coating so you can use it as a basic bivi, does this sound right, although the hammock is super comfy I'm really not liking the wetness of it.

Has anyone else experienced this with the travel hammock? I'm really gtating to think inshore of got the more breathable frontline line hammock.

Cheers for any advice offered

Luke

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think you've answered your own question Luke, I believe it's the waterproof base that doesn't breathe so well

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Having the same problem (it seems to be a personal thing, others have no issue at all) - I sold mine and got a more breathable hammock. Short of that condensation forms when hot damp air hits a cold surface. If you can keep the surface warm then the condensation wont form. More insulation on the outside of the hammock may help?

I swapped to a tenth wonder grey hornet hammock which is more breathable, newer models have a third waterproof splash guard. Then I bought the TW super XL hammock which has no bug net, is very breathable and a lot bigger - also a lot cheaper. I found myself not using the bug net at all - so it seemed the sensible choice.

Very pleased with it too.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Everyone I know who bought a waterproof base hammock ends up regretting it, it seems.

Just out of curiosity anyone on here ever gone hammock camping and ended up having to go to ground?

Oh and +1 for the TW XL hammocks. I use mine as soon as the midges start to die off, £16 well spent.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just out of curiosity anyone on here ever gone hammock camping and ended up having to go to ground?

Yep :)

I bought a cheap hammock and tarp set from China and the first trip out the stitching ripped out of one end channel. I just dropped the tarp a lot lower and slept on top of the wrecked hammy, luckily I had a 3/4 Thermarest which kept me comfortable.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yep :)

I bought a cheap hammock and tarp set from China and the first trip out the stitching ripped out of one end channel. I just dropped the tarp a lot lower and slept on top of the wrecked hammy, luckily I had a 3/4 Thermarest which kept me comfortable.

Hope you weren't hanging above anything spiky ;)!

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Thought as much, bu thought I'd best throw a question out there just in case I was missing something, thanks for everyone's replies.

I'll check out the DD frontline and the TW ones

Thanks again

Luke

One thing - make sure you're breathing into the air and not into your insulation. That'd make a big difference.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Didn't have a condensation problem however I did have a bath that lasted about 7 hours because it was torrential rain and I had forgotten to mod my webbing. BIG mistake!

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 4

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I have the TW Super XL 3.2m Hornet, TW XL and Super XL, all excellent for the price, you will probably be very happy with any of them depending on their application. The Super XL Hornet is big enough to invite friends round!

My original hammock was a DD Travel Hammock. I only had one instance of it being a little damp inside but it is a flaw of that hammock design for some people. I cooked myself in a high rated sleeping bag when it wasn't cold so I had made myself perspire too much. Hadn't been an issue before that.

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
I have the TW Super XL 3.2m Hornet, TW XL and Super XL, all excellent for the price, you will probably be very happy with any of them depending on their application. The Super XL Hornet is big enough to invite friends round!

My original hammock was a DD Travel Hammock. I only had one instance of it being a little damp inside but it is a flaw of that hammock design for some people. I cooked myself in a high rated sleeping bag when it wasn't cold so I had made myself perspire too much. Hadn't been an issue before that.

Thanks I'm going to take a look at the xl TW hammocks.

Cheers all

Luke

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Ive never had the condensation issue , even if ive gone to sleep letherd . Maybe due to having a sheepskin mat as a liner . If you're new to hammicking ? I'd preserve and try different sleeping methods before buying another hammock ?

eggs shouldn't dance with stones.....

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Condensation in non breathable hammocks cause problems when sleeping insulation is sandwiched between the body and the hammock fabric. Perspiration builds up in the insulation and can't get out. If the sleeping insulation is a bit warm and causes the user to sweat, the problem multiplies. Exactly the same thing happens when using a foam mat or space blanket in-between the layers of a breathable hammock

Using a sleeping bag as a quilt solves the problem-just open it out and put your feet in the enclosed end.

I still use and like my DD Travel despite having plenty of others to choose from including breathables. Rigging it up with a warm underquilt and a using a top quilt (opened sleeping bag or dedicated quilt) leaves me bone dry in the morning. Others who have borrowed my setup have also had the same dry experience.

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
I tried it at otley at the last meet with a light sleeping bag unzipped and a wool blanket as a base, it was sweaty wit condensation, this weekend was even worse. It's worth saying I do run a little hot at night but I didn't exepect quite the condensation and what it did to the outside of my sleepingbag :0(

THis weekend I ditched the wool blanket and used a short 1.2 meter self inflating multi mat tried it sandwiched inbetween the two hammock linings and on top of them both.... Made no difference

I am new to hammocking but it's ruined my nights sleep on two trips out now, probably keep the DD travel for use by friends if they fancy a change from their tents, had a look tonight at the 1.8 meter wide hornet which doesn't have the waterproof bottom on the TW website, it's not like there hundreds of pounds so can just about stomach getting another! Just wish I'd picked up the frontline lol

Last edited:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I have the 1.8m hornet its huge and a very comfy place to be. They do an insulated version now, looks a good buy :)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have the 1.8m hornet its huge and a very comfy place to be. They do an insulated version now, looks a good buy :)

I'd check the sizes on the insulated version. I bought one a couple of years ago and ended up returning it. It was shorter than the hornets and it had a rather odd camo pattern that included lots of military insignia. Including an imperial eagle clutching a swastika! So back it went.

Don't get me wrong I purchased 2 more hammocks from TW after that but I'd do your homework on the insulated one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE