wet forming

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got told to damp the sheath with water and get it nice and soft, then wrap your blade in a couple of layers of clingfilm, put it in your sheath and use some clamps and something to prevent marking the leather. Tighten up the clamps enough to get the fit you want and put it all somewhere to dry for a day or two.

I`ve done this to tighten up a sheath after it`s become loose after a while but I`m sure some of the leathercrafty folk could tell you better.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Rich has pretty much covered it. I just run it under the tap for a wee while then get rid of the excess water. Wrap the knife in clingfilm then push it into the sheath. You can then use a blunt instrument, handle of a kitchen knife or something to shape the leather round the handle etc. As it's wet it stretches a wee bit. You then take the knife out and let it dry slowly and naturally, no radiators! and it should keep it's shape.

Great info here

Cheers,

Alan

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Look HERE

heres mine

Thirdsheath.jpg

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I would recomend making sure your nails are shorts (they mark the leather) and that the surface you work on is clean.
An old fashioned butter knife is good for shaping with or you can make a wooden tool yourself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE