Western Norway: Good Friday mountainside walk

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
With the mountainside right behind our house its easy to get out if you want to. This morning, 5 degrees/no wind/a bit of sun said go, so off we went.

In the forests surrounding our town the policy is to leave the fallen trees to themselves; only stuff representing a danger or blocking the trails are removed.

western_norway_day_out.jpg

western_norway_day_out_02.jpg

western_norway_day_out_03.jpg

western_norway_day_out_04.jpg

After a steep climb the terrain gets flatter and you get to see more sky.

western_norway_day_out_05.jpg

Someone left a saw so people passing by can participate in removing this tree from the trail.

western_norway_day_out_06.jpg

Quite a big lavvu in need of some mending after last winter, but the wooden stove and chimney seemed to be intact.

western_norway_day_out_07.jpg

Contemplating the view.

western_norway_day_out_08.jpg

Time for coffee and sweets. The writing on the package translates to "Easter Marzipan", a Norwegian Easter staple with chocolate and marzipan combined.

western_norway_day_out_09.jpg

My "trekopp" (kuksa) in it's natural habitat.

western_norway_day_out_10.jpg

Yours truly.

western_norway_day_out_11.jpg

The strongest storm in years hit Western Norway in January, and a lot of trees were broken like matches.

western_norway_day_out_12.jpg

western_norway_day_out_13.jpg

Before the decent I collected a piece of Juniper for woodwork.

western_norway_day_out_14.jpg

The missus put the Juniper to good use as a walking stick.

western_norway_day_out_15.jpg

western_norway_day_out_16.jpg

Thank you for watching!

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers for posting up your report, I really enjoyed it. Looks a lovely place and the pictures are great. Like all the fallen timber, I've had a strange draw to fallen trees since I was a kid, I find it quite exciting seeing under a tree, and to see what's there. Usually it's just stones and earth but sometimes little bits of the past come to light. Have found the odd bit of worked stone and bullets too, though never a human skeleton like you hear about.
Nice Kuska by the way, good coffee and some marzipan sitting out doors with good company cant really be beat.
Thanks again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE