Visiting Norway and Sweden - Advice requested

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
My wife and I will be flying into Oslo, Norway in a few days for a 7 day trip with a rental car and need to narrow down our travel plans to what will be realistic.

After exploring Oslo, we'd like to drive to Fulufjället National Park and camp and then drive thru Mora down to Ed in the Western Lakes region of Sweden and rent canoes from Canodal and stay for a night on the lake around Stora-La.

We would then make our way back to Oslo and West to Bergen. If possible, maybe a stop along the way at Hardangervidda nasjonalpark and on the way back maybe we would head south towards Preikestolvegen to camp and see Pulpit Rock before going back to Oslo and flying home.

We really want to camp because we love to camp but also to save $, eat some fresh seafood and see some amazing nature.
Exploring culture is also high on the list.

Am I crazy? What changes should we make? What else should we not miss? Any easy camping places I can add to my notes.
I always like to over plan and have options while still being open to making total changes during the trip.

Thanks very much for any advice!

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Sounds like you are in for a really nice trip! I hope trip will be a success for you :)

There is so much to see on your planned trip, I don't know if I would dare recommend adding even more to places to see on your list, with only 7 days. Where to start?!

There are so many possibilities, but I gather you want to enjoy your trip, not rush through it with a high stress level :p
But if you are going to visit the Pulpit Rock anyway, might I suggest "Kjeragbolten"?
https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/hike-to-kjerag/1846/
It is located in the same neighborhood as Pulpit Rock.

The monument "Sverd i Fjell" is also close by, but you have to enter civilization to see it:
https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/swords-in-rock/1852/

The famous "Trolltunga" (The Troll´s Tounge) is located between Hardangervidda and Bergen, and might be interesting to you as well, since you want to visit Hardangervidda on your way to Bergen:
https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/trolltunga/8625/

There are many tips for you in this website, and general advise. Just pick the regions you want to travel through, and you will have many alternatives to choose from :)

You are not crazy, camping in Norway is a nice experience!:camping: Just be sure to pack bug repellants, if you don´t want to be a standing buffet.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The area you are planning to visit in Sweden is very beautiful. Civilised, a bit of nature. A nice mix.
As you only have one week I am not going to recommend more places in Sweden.

Do not forget to buy the traditional Dala häst ( small wooden horse, painted) preferably from Nusnäs just outside Mora, where several small manufacturers are.
Beware of Chinese copies!
Also you should buy traditional wooden clogs in Nusnäs.
And while you are in Mora I am sure you will visit the factory where the famous Mora knives are made?
Stock up!
In Norway, I would like to recommend you visit one or preferably several of the famous Stave churches in Norway.
While in Oslo, a must is the Viking Ship Museum just outside the town on an island called Bygdoy. Other interrsting museums there.
Remember that you can camp freely in the Swedish and Norwegian nature, pick berries and mushrooms. Just clean up after you!

Yes, bring an effektive anti mosquito and gnat spray or oil.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
If you only have 7 days, skip Sweden, enjoy the parts of Norway thoroughly and come back for Sweden another time. Seriously.
I think you will find that even 7 days for the area of Norway you described to be far too little time.
Don't rush and race around that much. You'll miss all the good stuff.

If you only have 7 days, skip Sweden, enjoy the parts of Norway thoroughly and come back for Sweden another time. Seriously.
I think you will find that even 7 days for the area of Norway you described to be far too little time.
Don't rush and race around that much. You'll miss all the good stuff.

hmm, so skip the Sweden side of this map?
Screenshot%202016-06-21%2019.13.03_zpsnvyyecz2.png
[/URL][/IMG]

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
whilst not having been to the areas you are visiting, we spent 2 weeks touring northern Sweden, Finland and Norway last winter, going over the north coast. Was a truly wonderful experience and i really want to go back there. But i will say, try and limit how far you go, we did 2500 miles (much to the rental car companies horror, lol!) and, while we saw a lot and did some amazing things, next time i would try and stay in one area. All the Scandinavian countries are beautiful, the people amazing, the scenery mind blowing, and it's not going anywhere, take your time, get to know an area and the locals. You can always go back again (and again and again). Have a great trip and, if you do get to Sweden, you really must buy a tin of the surstromming (fermented herring) and open it in as vast an area as you can find, the smell will stay with you to the grave but i rather liked the taste (tried in a lay-by in a -10 and 50mph blizzard).

I posted a full trip report over at BushcraftUSA: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/camping-vacation-in-norway-sweden.178119/#post-3036206

We flew into Oslo and rented a car. Our first stop was ScandiTrail Canoe Rental in Sweden to paddle and camp at Stora-Le and Foxen Lake.

After paddling we drove north towards Mora and onward to Fulufjallet National Park to see Sweden's oldest trees and tallest waterfall.
Then we drove slightly north/mostly west to see fjords and the city of Bergen before making our way through Hardangervidda National Park and ending at Oslo.
We camped every night except one and either found easy free camping or paid about $16us around the more touristy/fjord areas for a convenient spot in a field with access to bathrooms/showers. The midnight sun allowed for long days and kept our flashlights packed away all trip.

The fishing was great..so many streams full of brown trout. We could hear them slurping bugs off the surface all night when camping near the water.

Happy to answer any questions - it was a great trip through beautiful country!

Reactions: buckfynn

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Nice report! Nice to know that your trips was a success :)
I could not enlarge the photos because I´m not a member (maybe I should sign up?) of that forum, but what I was able to see looked great!
The Stave churches are awesomeness materialized, of course ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE