Went shopping yesterday :o)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
and got myself a few things just to start with

craft_tools1.jpg

craft_tools2.jpg

on nights now but cant wait to get started on a knife sheath,

they have some awesome leathers in the shop. But you have to buy the whole piece unless you can find what your looking for in the off cut bin,

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I see you've been to LePrevo too. Like a christmas grotto in there isn't it?

If you bring your stuff along to the meet I'll share some tricks and tips with you.

Eric

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Eric_Methven said:

If you bring your stuff along to the meet I'll share some tricks and tips with you.

Eric

ERic i dont know anything about leather craft, but its like a candy store, they have some awesome leather, i just wanted to buy alsorts, very helpful to, and only a short drive away, only picked up a few scraps to start. The thin long strip is quite thick so i was going to use that as a strop, just tidy it up a bit, cant wait to start playing

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
hi spoony, is le prevo still in the toon? its years since ive been in there is it still in the attic place? i made some moccasins for me mother years ago she's into country & western dancing and she still has them i think. wots the prices like nowadays?hope to see you at the meet nd i'll bring them dvds 4 u ;)

tom

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I'm going to pop in to LePrevo tomorrow and pick up another side and back of leather. What I don't use for sheaths at the meet will be turned into a pair of mediaval boots and some bushcraft moccasins. I'm also going to make some templates for possibles pouches and ditty bags and bring them along too.

Eric

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
Eric_Methven said:

Eric
I don't mean to be cheeky Eric, but is the meet open to other forum members? I'm pretty new to this forum, but I'd welcome the chance to meet up with and learn from other members.

Iv'e just ordered a load of stuff from Le Prevo ready for my first sheath.
I went for a side at 2.5mm thick, possibly a little thin for sheaths but it is such a large piece I wanted to be able to use it for other stuff as well, so went for a medium weight.
What thickness do you use most?
Have I done the right thing?

Regards
Platypus

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Twelvebore, PM sent.

Platypus, 2.5ml veggie tanned leather is fine for sheaths. Remember to put a filler piece in where you are stitching so the blade doesn't cut through the thread. If you've never made one before, you'll find it easier to wet mould it. That means wetting the leather under the tap (it'll go really soft) and wrap it round your knife so you get the shape of the blade and handle. Then you punch holes with an awl, fit the filler piece and stitch it up. Actually there's more to it than that but I don't have time right now to do a tutorial on sheath making.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE