Welsh Anthem

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The anthem is not easy for the English to master and when I came across this I thought it could be of use to some

attachment.php

It should sound more like this

[video=youtube;NBpQqQ87JOg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBpQqQ87JOg[/video]

Attachments

• WELSH ALTERNATIVE ANTHEM.jpg
    WELSH ALTERNATIVE ANTHEM.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 101
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I've always thought it was a jolly nice anthem, not nearly as depressing as the UK one (I'm not much of a fan of the unofficial Scottish one either).

:)

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm not an "Anthemic" type at all, but I think the Welsh one is about as good as they get...........Why don't more of them just have a good toon? :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I always likes Billy Connely's idea about having the Archers theme tune as the national anthem as it was jolly. A lot of natiinalists up here in Scotland don't like the seventh verse of GB's one because of the "crushing the rebelious Scots" line. Funny as most of them probably dont know any of the other verses. Spain's national anthem doesn't have any words as they couldn't decide on politically neutral words after getting rid of the pro Franco one. Weirdly Holland's anthem swears fealty to the king of Spain despite them fighting a few wars and being oppossed on religious matters for a long time.
Sorry I'm coming over a bit Sheldon Cooper's Fun With Flags but with anthems. :rolleyes:

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
I would Love to support one of the home nations now that we the English failed to show up. However as we are "Hated" for some reason that most cant seem to get over, i find myself supporting migrating towards NZ. haha
shame really but do unto others i guess. :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...we are "Hated" for some reason..."

Now now, we don't hate you, we just want you to lose. :)

"...Spain's national anthem doesn't have any words as they couldn't decide on politically neutral words after getting rid of the pro Franco one..."

The Catalan one is pretty good, although the lyrics are terrifying. :eek:

Mod hat on, keep it calm and informative everyone.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I would Love to support one of the home nations now that we the English failed to show up. However as we are "Hated" for some reason that most cant seem to get over, i find myself supporting migrating towards NZ. haha
shame really but do unto others i guess. :)

Most English are not hated in Wales, well...a lot from down southern England maybe ;)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I think its very good of you, Rik, to produce a phonetic Welsh anthem for the 80% of Welsh who don't actually speak Welsh:)

However, as an Englishman, I'll do the sporting thing and support the team that actually properly beat us - Oz - rather than the team we gifted a win to!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think its very good of you, Rik, to produce a phonetic Welsh anthem for the 80% of Welsh who don't actually speak Welsh:)

However, as an Englishman, I'll do the sporting thing and support the team that actually properly beat us - Oz - rather than the team we gifted a win to!

The sporting thing would be to concede that Wales won the match, not that England lost it; big difference. All I heard for days afterwards from my many English friends was how you'd gifted us the game! We won it! :)

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
as an Englishman through and through, we should never have given away the lead , however i think Wales never backed off , they won fair and square
as much as it hurts to have exited at the early stage, i wish wales good luck..
lucky for me I don't have any Welsh mates they are either Jocks or Irish even so they have not left me alone, thank God i am so Old now I forget
what they have said lol....

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Another great rendition of the anthem at the final decider match of the 6 nations 2013.

[video=youtube;AM4mIlYKG9s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM4mIlYKG9s[/video]

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
What the Welsh need is their own God... someone to look up to, worship... maybe the red dragon of Wales that the Welsh used to follow could do the job... yes, the Welsh should worship De.....

Oh, wait a minute.... :eek:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Like Sandbender says Gaelic wasn't traditionally spoken all over Scotland & adding in dialects really mixes it up. A Hebridean gaelic speaker would have real trouble understanding an East coaster.
On the East here we have the Doric which if you get chatting to an old timer even a young native can struggle to keep up. Further down in the Kingdom of Fife, Fresian was as commonly spoken as English 'till the turn of last century, couple that with all the small mining & fishing villages with their own take on things and the accent and local words can again make it hard going.
I like all the regional variations and odd words. Sometimes the words don't really translate as they just fit what they mean so well. My folks didn't speak to my brother or I unless we spoke properly, though we were encouraged to learn the older way of speaking. But this was saved for talking to the old folks and your mates. Have had some folk think I was English in the past but my accent is deffunately Scottish.
Watched a recording of a telly program I was part of about ten years ago and for some reason I have a Highlands accent in it. :rolleyes:

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Oh for flipping heck sake, the thread started with humor and has dropped to pedantism. The words 'life, people, a, get' spring to mind.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Oh for flipping heck sake, the thread started with humor and has dropped to pedantism. The words 'life, people, a, get' spring to mind.

Had you clicked the link in my last post you'd perhaps have seen the humorous side too. The words 'pot, kettle, calling and black' spring to mind. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE