Wellies for those with bigger legs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

photonician

Jun 30, 2015
United Kingdom
Hi all

Are there any manufacturers of decent quality wellies that fit those with large calves?

I currently have a pair of Dirt Boot Pro-Sports which have not impressed me (other than the fact they fit my legs): comfy, but the soles have worn remarkably quickly and the rubber has cracked across the instep of both wellies after 12 months of not particularly hard use. My partners pair of Dirt Boots have also sprung a leak and have a collapsed heel after 12 months of use... not great, and they aren't particularly cheap!

In searching for a replacement, I've hit a bit of an issue... I can't find a brand that fits my legs!

A size 10 in both Muck Boots and Grubbs fit my feet really well, just not my calves, with the boots getting pulled off my feet as the shaft of the boot isn't fitting properly, or gripping my legs so hard that my feet tingle. A size 10 or 11 Cotswold boot from Go Outdoors wouldn't even go near me. I've tried boots with adjustable tops and without.

I can see Hunter do a 'wide fit' boot, but that seems to be for wide feet as opposed to legs.

In summary: Big legs, Dirt Boots a bit rubbish: what are the other options?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Builder's wellies.

Seriously, find your local Arco and go and try on what they have on offer.
One of my colleagues was one of those stockily built heavy legged types. Rock solid, nothing would have knocked him over, kind of thing. Not fat, just solid.
He had real problems getting kit, but he advised going to Arco (or similar builder's merchant) and trying stuff on.
He got wellies and yard boots there that fitted him fine, and a lot cheaper than the rest of us were paying too.....then we figured out how to get the 'company discount' :)
I get brilliant working gloves there :)

The other places that might well be worth a try are the ship chandlers and the farmer's shops.
Work boots, not playing-in boots, iimmc ?

Like this kind of thing.....

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE