Weekend of with the kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CommonZense

Mar 10, 2015
Aalst (BE)
Last weekend we had the chance to move out with the kids for a night. Weather was just excellent, autumn at its best. Our overnighter was planned at a 'legal wild camp spot'. Unfortunately my leg was not good enough due to a sport accident (yes, I now ;)) so we had to change plans and made camp at a scouts site near Heverlee... ok near Leuven..., no? 25min East from Brussels. We had some new base camp gear to test as well. Being a kettel, DO and tripod with mobile firepit. Also first weekend out with my new old Enzo Trapper 95.

Our new Petromax QT6 Dutch Oven. Almost 8L. First time use had to be celebrated with a Belgian Stew. This means some great dark trappist beers, chunks of pork meet, bread with mustard, unions and optional veggies.
DSC_6260_zpsecyc4xvs.jpg

The kettle we use has recently been purchased at Ikea. And I am happy with it as it does what it is supposed to do for a minimum investment, €15 I believe it was (approx £11). The small can in the fire place contains melted paraffin which we used to make torches with the kids for diner lightning.
DSC_6265_zpsmgwm5us1.jpg

We used a Polish army lavvu (poncho tent) as camp storage place. Me and my daughter slept in hammocks, my wife and son slept in a small tent.
DSC_6234_zpscudz1j5x.jpg

The wheather was just excellent so I had the oppertunity to sleep with the tarp opened. Just love that.
DSC_6253_zpsroujmqev.jpg

Finshed stew. And finsihed potato's in foil.
DSC_6271_zps3gecqwsu.jpg

Next morning... Chestnuts, superb deliciousness.
DSC_6282_zpsjxsydkps.jpg

Next trip will be the French Ardennes with 'the boyz' in one week and half.
Theme: outdoor coocking in the DO whilst carrying out preventive activities on avoiding the chance of dehydration.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That looks good!
In my teens I lived in and around Brussels for years and although I enjoyed the Forêt de Soignes and the Ardenne I never found a spot I could legally "Wild" camp - it looks like you have it sorted!

CommonZense

Mar 10, 2015
Aalst (BE)
Hi John, I believe this legal 'wild' camp sites initiative in Belgium is something from the last 10j.

In the Netherlands we name this phenomenon 'paalkamperen', in which "Paal" refers to an erect beam (post) in the middle of the forest away from the path, marking the center of a 20m perimeter in which one is allowed to set camp for a maximum of I believe 72 hours with no more then 3 tents, at no costs. At most of the locations you can find a water pomp that offers a supply of 'fresh' ground water, good for drinking after cooking. The initiative is supported and initiated by the Dutch Forestry Commission (Staats bosbeheer, SBB).
In Belgium the system is based on 'paalkamperen' but called 'bivakzone'. There are small differences. Rules may vary per site due to local differences in legislation.

With a little help from Google Translate (which translates entire websites too) you can get more info here:
NL: https://sites.google.com/site/paalkampeerders/
BE: http://www.bivakzone.be/

There are more options for legal primitive camp sites (google: natuurcamping) in beautiful and quiet environments, also from SBB, often with a small sanitary block and a tab with running water. Other places are the one we stayed last weekend, from the Scouts: https://www.hopper.be/en/jeugdverblijf. I believe we payed 8£-ish for one night with the four of us...

Off course you always have the option to go out in stealth-mode. Which will be the next step when the kids grow older... :)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I really enjoyed that, thank you for posting it up.pictures and the colours are lovely, deep and rich with autumn. Your set up looks good and I bet the kids have a whale of a time. Food's made me hungry again and I've just eaten. Chestnuts for breakfast, lovely. I wish they grew well enough to fruit properly up here. The one local tree gets the globes but they're always empty.
Again great report, really enjoyed it.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
Some great photos, love the multi story tripod.

And your spelling of unions

(My French is poor and my Flemish is non existent so I really shouldn't say any thing)

(My English isn't great either)

(I do know lots of swear words)

😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE