Wee bit nippy - pics

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Had a good old bimble out today with Rockmonkey, no Hugo this week though, for reasons i'll let him explain if he wants to.

The day started off much like the rest of the UK, Cold, as RM & i set off from where we parked the car up there was some icy rain and the odd small snow flake in the air and this continued on and off until about lunch time

Heading out past one of the Thatched Cottages in the village

DSCN1156.jpg

View up the lane, the woods are up there in the mist - somewhere

DSCN1157.jpg

did I mention it was cold?

DSCN1159.jpg

quick look back at the Old Mill

DSCN1160.jpg

before heading out over the Mill Field

DSCN1161.jpg

normally we would walk up the lane, but it was no better than an ice rink today, so up the edge of the fields it was

DSCN1165.jpg

DSCN1166.jpg

Nice Haw frost on a Hawthorn

DSCN1174.jpg

looking down the field

DSCN1176.jpg

we will be walking back along the top of those hills in a few hours time

DSCN1179.jpg

up past the shoot

DSCN1187a.jpg

some gorgeous frosted Holly

DSCN1184.jpg

Frosted Cobweb, don't you just love this time of year?

DSCN1190.jpg

looking out over the fields it looks decidedly chilly

DSCN1191.jpg

at the plantation now and time for a look round the old barn, note to self, next time we come this way - bring a torch so we can explore properly, the barn pic was taken with the flash on the camera, in reality, it was pitch black in there

DSCN1202.jpg

DSCN1194.jpg

Time for a brew and the missing man cake formation

DSCN1205.jpg

DSCN1208.jpg

did a bit of tracking while we were in this area, although, it wasn't that difficult

DSCN1212.jpg

DSCN1216.jpg

DSCN1217.jpg

Saw some Deer come through as we sat there drinking coffee, i got them on video and i'll post that up a bit later.

Fed and watered we were starting to get chilly, so time to move, so we explored the immediate area a bit, nice frozen moss covered log and a good supply of dead standing timber?

DSCN1220.jpg

DSCN1221.jpg

moving along the path we came across this frozen beech stump

DSCN1226.jpg

a real winters scene

DSCN1228.jpg

DSCN1230.jpg

DSCN1237.jpg

See Clementine do grow wild in Britain:rolleyes:

DSCN1239.jpg

view out over the frozen countryside

DSCN1240.jpg

heading up slope now, tell you what Hugo, this path is steep, much steeper than the one we went up last week, not one we will be taking you up im afraid, i was puffed out by the time we go to the top and think RM was too

DSCN1241.jpg

View out over the frozen Weald

DSCN1244.jpg

if you look at the smoke in the distance you can clearly see the difference in atmospheric layers

DSCN1245.jpg

DSCN1248.jpg

nearly at the top now, thank gawd

DSCN1249.jpg

view from our lunch spot

DSCN1250.jpg

heading east along the South Downs Way

DSCN1251.jpg

just a small Muck Spreader, RM shown for scale:)

DSCN1252.jpg

went and had a look at the wikiup, not doing bad at all

DSCN1255.jpg

lovely well defined Deer lay

DSCN1258.jpg

got a bit further round and stopped for another brew and watched a C-130 go into the local airport

DSCN1259.jpg

brew over it was time to head down towards the car and back home,

DSCN1260.jpg

DSCN1263.jpg

when we got back to the car at about 15:30 the outside air temp was reading 1 deg C, superb day out though, real shame Hugo couldn't make it, but knowing how cold it was, both RM & I now he made the right choice not to come, missed his sense of humour though, oh yes, Hugo, we had a right nice chat with our ladies this morning too:)

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Some of those pictures are christmas card material!
great pics,looks like you had a great day,thanks for the pictures:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great pics Mark

The valleys around here today have been the same, thawed out on the tops but the lower areas covered in the white stuff.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Great pic's as always mate!, cracking day out, but shame we were a man down!:(.
Damn cold today, but mighty fine fun.
Looking forward to next week already!

RM

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers guys, was a great day out in the frost and cold, much prefer weather like this to the humidity of summer,

Here's the video of the Deer i mentioned in the opening post, RM & I were just sat there on a log chatting and drinking coffee and the deer just walked past us, probably, 50 yards or so away, not even bothered about our presence there.

[video=youtube;Ub5U6dWDc8c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub5U6dWDc8c&feature=yo utu.be[/video]

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
Some of those pictures are christmas card material!
great pics,looks like you had a great day,thanks for the pictures:)
exactly what the wife said. compliment she makes hand made cards and wants to nick your photos lol

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks for the comments people, we also got to see a Sparrow Hawk, Kestrel, found some Badger prints as well, collected some inner bark form the Redwoods to make some cordage from and started to make some whilst we were out, found a dead rat in the middle of the plantation too, i suspect it came out of the old barn pictured above, but it's not going back as it was decidedly 'deep frozen':)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Glad you two boys enjoyed yourselves without me tagging along, did you save me that cake in the middle, I can taste it now. yum yum.
The pictures look good as always Kepis mate, hope you looked after Rockmonkey as he can get a bit lost when looking for pyrite. :rolleyes:
Looking forward to our next day out, thermals on I think.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE