Wedges

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Am pondering making some splitting wedges to help me split larger logs for various green wood projects. My current thinking is to use Holly to make them, largely because I have quite a lot of it, and it's a very hard wood.

What I'm trying to work out is which part of the tree to use. I can take a piece about 60mm round, cut it to about 150-200mm, sharpen it and then fire harden it.

Or I can take a piece that is about 120-150mm round, cut a length 150-200mm, then split that down to make wedges along the axis of the grain. Again fire hardened.

Or I can take a piece that is nearer 250mm across, and about 60mm long, then split radial wedges off of this.

What would you do? The main woods I have are green chestnut, green holy, 1 year seasoned holly, and 2 year seasoned holly.

Thanks

Julia

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Hhhm, I've not considered fire hardening my gluts so I may learn something here. :D

I pretty much treat mine as disposable as I find they just split apart after a while, either into multiple wedges or just mashed on top. One thing I have learnt is to have lots of gluts and also make them thin! I started off with a wider angle modelling them on metal wedges but the wood reacts different. The thicker wedge would be a struggle to get established whereas thin would ease a gap open. Once established, thicker is fine.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I make wedges out of split seasoned hardwood. as the man above say's, on the thin side
If you chamfer (spelling?) The edges on the striking face they will last a little longer

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Holly, green holly that is, splits like crazy.

Hornbeam good as a wedge though, so are beech and ash, dry oak too.

It doesn't need to be thick, indeed a thick wedge is a pain to hammer into a split, but a thin, strong one, that'll work :D
Somewhere I have the physics of it all neatly written out, but, tbh, after you've used them for a bit, you'll know the best shape to make to do the job.

M

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Elderberry splits easy and dries very hard so I would think it may be suitable as wedges, I have not used elder as wedges myself but have used it for various pegs as it’s light and hard when seasoned, just a suggestion if you want to be the guinea pig.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Green holly is notorious for splitting as it dries. If you have plenty then make some now which will work well but will inevitably split. Then make a pair to put aside for later. If you use the 60mm round wood cut to twice the length of the wedge you want, sharpen each end to a wedge shape, then put it aside for a couple of years (under cover but ventilated). In the fullness of time you can saw in half to get a matched pair of gluts. Simply chamfer the striking face and you're good to go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE