Webbing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Hello all,

As of next season the estate where I work will be offering walked up grouse, woodcock, and snipe days. Although I will not be shooting a lot, I will be carry quite a bit of gear. So I dont want a rucksack, as the straps get in the way with the gun stock. After looking at lots of bum bags and the Maxpedition Fatboys, a friend recommened PLCE webbing, army issue. I know that there is a few chaps on here who use it, and I was wondering about your experiances with it, especially for rough shoooting. Ive looked at endicotts stuff and it seems they know their eggs! How much is a reasonable price for a New/hardly used webbing set (http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=1430)?

Any feedback apprecieted.

Thanks

Sam

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
You can actually get away with just using two utility pouches, belt and harness, if you don't want/need the ammo pouches. You can also fit a Snugpak response pack on the back end of the belt between the back end harness straps. It's probably not the way it's supposed to be worn, but it's worked for me.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
best advice try as much as you can before you buy!

I Presently use SAS canvas pouches, and Arktis pouches, both of them are more comfortable than PLCE, but PLCE is much tougher.
Also I've used ALICE and a few others, best thing though, get to an army surplus shop and try them!

It might be worth you checking out this thread it has pictures of my and others webbing and pros, cons, and even a full blown argument....oh yes, webbing is quite the controversial subject with bushcraters;) enjoy! :
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41983,

Join the Webbing rebels!:lmao:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
try looking at assault vests they will totaly get rid of the straps you want to avoid and you can get all sorts of poches and still fit bergan side pouches to the back to make a day sack.

the new ones also have removable pouches so you can put them where you want.....

however can be pricey..... heva a gander and see what ya think......

chris..........

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
What are 'walk up grouse, woodcock and snipe days'??

Its a way of shooting. It normally invloves a group of maybe 2-10 Guys with shotguns (refered to as guns). You basically walk in formation, with "flushing" dogs (noramlly HPR's, pointers or spaniels) looking for the birds in front of you. The dogs scare the birds into the air where the guns try there best to shoot them. This yeilds much smaller bags than "driven" shooting (when the birds are flushed towards a line of stationairy guns) but is IMO much harder. You are looking at walkking maybe 25km a day over peat bog, rocks, caledonian forest and a couple of Munro's. This requires two things 1. Fitness 2. Light,comfy kit :).

Hope this helps,

Sam

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
That sounds like a really good way to spend a day. I'd love to get into shooting, maybe whilst I'm in uni a bit more in the wilds.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Its a way of shooting. It normally invloves a group of maybe 2-10 Guys with shotguns (refered to as guns). You basically walk in formation, with "flushing" dogs (noramlly HPR's, pointers or spaniels) looking for the birds in front of you. The dogs scare the birds into the air where the guns try there best to shoot them. This yeilds much smaller bags than "driven" shooting (when the birds are flushed towards a line of stationairy guns) but is IMO much harder. You are looking at walkking maybe 25km a day over peat bog, rocks, caledonian forest and a couple of Munro's. This requires two things 1. Fitness 2. Light,comfy kit :).

Hope this helps,

Sam

Cheers for that yes it does help I've done a bit of ' Game bird' shooting like that here in NZ on private land as you're not allowed to use a shotgun on DoC estate. Shooting using a semi so probably not as sporting using that. But fun.. I agree you need to be fit..

Camelbak used to make a vest with a hydration bladder built in called the Upland vest IIRC specifically for that type of Bird shooting I know there is one on the shelf in our Local 'Hunting + Fishing' it was in a Tan / Blaze orange colour. What do your colleagues use for similar shooting?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
OK - are you going to be shooting lying down or standing up? Or both?

Here's why:

Webbing belt order is designed so that you can lie flat to shoot as your chest and front of waist areas are clear. Clearly, you can also stand up or crouch and shoot too. So, webbing offers the best option for a variety of firing positions. However, it can be a bit awkward/bulky depending how much kit is round your waist and it is more difficult to drive or sit in a vehicle.

Assault vests and chest rigs normally have pouches at the front and not the rear so that it is easier to sit in a vehicle with them, equipment is more accessible, and the shooting position is generally crouched on one knee or standing.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Camelbak used to make a vest with a hydration bladder built in called the Upland vest IIRC specifically for that type of Bird shooting I know there is one on the shelf in our Local 'Hunting + Fishing' it was in a Tan / Blaze orange colour. What do your colleagues use for similar shooting?

Shocking, looks ideal but not availible in the UK, :( Most of the other keepers I know either go for a day sack, game bag or bum bag. I must admit im looking hard at the snugpak response pack. Does anyone know if you can fit a Nato flask holder to it?

Sam

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Shocking, looks ideal but not availible in the UK, :( Most of the other keepers I know either go for a day sack, game bag or bum bag. I must admit im looking hard at the snugpak response pack. Does anyone know if you can fit a Nato flask holder to it?

Sam

I'm assuming you mean the PLCE water bottle pouch. if so then I'm pretty certain you could fit it to the waist belt.
If it's a different pouch you mean, then it's a little less certain, but most pouches designed for millitary webbing belts should fit.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Rod Beek- Bang on about the drams :D

Thanks for the info phaserrifle. I think I might invest in a response pack soon, the only thing is do they stay where you put them when they are full? or does the weight drag them down?

Thanks

Sam

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Thanks for the info phaserrifle. I think I might invest in a response pack soon, the only thing is do they stay where you put them when they are full? or does the weight drag them down?

I'm afriaid I can't help on this. I've only ever handled a mates one, I've never actually used one myself. but with more traditional "bum bags" (the kind of thing you might imagine a tourist wearing) it tends to depend on how well you've ajusted the waist belt, and how well the ajustment holds.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
If you are concerned about looking a bit "Rambo" in webbing, you could always wear a short jacket over the top so that just the pouches are visible. The yoke just supports the weight. It depends on what you want to carry, 58 pattern is quieter than PLCE and very tough, but it shrinks when wet. Because it is canvas, it is easily repaired and modified. If I was gonna go for a set of webbing, it'd be 58 pattern. The large pack is small and would be ample for cramming a few jackets (waterproof and warm) and a flask and some sarnies in, but you would have to modify the carry straps to create shoulder straps. Again, this should be quite straight forward.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE