Webbing tape for hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
Thanks for all the replies people. The webbing that Joel suggested worked a treat and I was also lucky enough to acquire some climbing rated tape from a friend who works in a climbing shop. Am playing with both types. The climbing tape looks more hardwearing than the stuff from handystraps, but I'm thinking it would be a more expensive option for those not lucky enough to inherit some (sorry to rub that in ;):cool:). From initial tests and impressions both look up to the job but will probably favour the climbing tape for it's epic breaking strain and not wanting to offend a good mate!

Will play around more over the weekend and let you know how I get on. Many thanks once again!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I got my webbing from a climbing shop. the barnitts stuff didn't really look suitable but maybe I was looking in the wrong place. I've found a local upholsterer who's going to do a proper sewing job on it for me to put loops on the ends. what lengths are peeps using?

BTW old seatbelts worked out more expensive when I phoned the scrap yard as they sell off the seatbelt unit as a whole.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Below a copy from a post of ine elsewhere:

I use webbing tape purchased from ebay. I seem to remember it was sold in a pair as 'canoe straps', complete with a metal cinch buckle. Came in well under a tenner with more than enough length to hang my hammock.

I cut a meter off each tape close to the buckle, put some further bar tacking on the buckle to strengthen, and attach to each end of the hammock. I then stitched a strong loop at the end of each length of the remainder of the webbing through which i passed a karabiner.

To erect it i pass the strap round the tree, clipping the Karabiner back onto the strap, then feed the loose end of the strap through the cinch buckle which is attached a short distance from the end of the hammock, and cinch- to both centre the hammock between the trees, and obtain the correct amount of tension.

What you get with this set up is something incredibly quick to fasten, non stretch, completely adjustable, no knots, and the buckles act as affective drip rings. All for less than a tenner!

Steer clear (if tempted) from the olive rope sold in outdoor shops (often called purlon)- it stretches far too much, meaning you have to highly tension your hammock if you want to avoid the ground. In turn, this results in the hammock squeezing you at the shoulders all night...

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Latest Hennessy that passed through my hands actually seemed to have seat belt webbing. Exactly the same material...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE