Weather Reports & Their Failures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
What is wrong with the met office these days? More noticeably the variations between the BBC tv and online predictions!
Two weeks ago I set about stripping the side off a house to be drenched in minutes when the report had been conflicting twixt the two, I went with the more favourable one :( Today I hedged my bets and went with the worst case report, so I did not go into work and start stripping off the last side.... job could have been done before the tiny shower we actually got :mad:

Are they relying on computer modelling too much?
During WW2 they seemed to get it right a lot, hence the small delay in D-Day going ahead.
Can I sue for loss of earnings? (;) bet if that was possible we'd have the best forecast service known to man)

Just what is causing so many mistakes?

Rob

Other tv channels are available but show the same lack of correctness from my experience.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
If find these guys to be pretty much on the money...i did have a link to another one that went into better detail as in temp variations up the highlands in and around the glens..awesome, but i cant for the life of me find that one again.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/united-kingdom-weather

Ps, I do a lot of camping in and around Morar Arisaig area...i just phone up the mission now for my weather reports. They look out the window and report back. :lmao:

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Err, I thought the met office wasn't doing the BBC weather predictions anymore?

I think the contract comes to an end next year.

I worked in aviation for a good few years and we always got very good forecasts up to 24 hrs. in advance which were accurate and rarely wrong, but there lies the rub; you have to pay quite a hefty fee for such good information and many special interest groups do pay up as for them there's no alternative. If the freely available forecasts were accurate and reliable it would hit their revenue stream very hard.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I tend to ingore anything past 24/48 hours as they are well off most of the time. Unless there is a huge high that isn't budging. Not a fan of the metoffice as of late for various reasons. Especially as they are after yet more tax payers cash for new kit.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Last time I checked, the BBC 'dumbed down' the accuracy of the weather forecasts by issuing blanket ones for large areas. If I go to the met site or check for my town directly on the bbc then I get different results than if I just look at 'yorkshire'.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Another vote here for Accuweather.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/united-kingdom-weather

There I can put in Woodbury and their forecast is 90% accurate. On the page they have a "Precipitation will start in XX minutes" and they're right more times than wrong.

Consider yourselves lucky you don't have the NWS/NOAA for forecasting. Last year I checked the weather for Raleigh and it said mainly sunny light winds NO precip so we decided to go for a bimble in the park. All I had was a bag with water, snacks and a small FAK. We were way out at the other end of the park when the clouds rolled in fast and dumped on us. A very long soggy walk back and we vowed NEVER to trust the weather man ever again. Rain gear was a prerequisite from then on.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Its the perfect job aint it? Might rain might not, dont know.
You never have to be right.
Perfect job

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE