We didn't do the Green thing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Saw this yesterday on Book face, and thought it worth sharing.

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic
bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days." The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.
Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were truly recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks. This was to ensure that public property, (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribbling's. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags. But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the
green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.
When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then. We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of
buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?
Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart-bottom young person.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing..."

Much that is true in there.

Still washing nappies and 99% of the little sandbender's clothes are picked up from second hand shops. :)

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
There's a lot more truth in there than anyone under 30-ish will ever understand; a great pity, but that is the human condition.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Plastic bags were in use in the UK in the sixties just how old is the woman in the story? TVs were quite a decent size too. The tiny green screens were early fifties.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Yup granpa never provided much for ya. Smart bottom ooh yeah.

Seriously the war and the decade following it had a very deep and marked effect on people, that lead to a mentality of "why not? There could be a war tomorrow" people can still remember having no food, and are glad there is. Some people lived theyears of rationing/ austerity and where 20 before things improved. The war also led to not wanting to waste things, even though the consumerism of the 60s made exessive purchasing ( having stuff was a novelty) few things where discarded in the way they are today.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Plastic bags weren't common place in the 60's and were reused for months in our house, TVs were rarely larger than 14" in the 60's and colour TV didn't reach most people until the mid 70s and lots of people still only had B&W TVs in the early 80's. Most folk didn't have credit until hire purchase was introduced so had to save up to buy stuff which was always silly expensive when the technology was new.

Tiny green screens were on computers in the early days not Televisions

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Plastic bags weren't common place in the 60's and were reused for months in our house, TVs were rarely larger than 14" in the 60's and colour TV didn't reach most people until the mid 70s and lots of people still only had B&W TVs in the early 80's. Most folk didn't have credit until hire purchase was introduced so had to save up to buy stuff which was always silly expensive when the technology was new.

Tiny green screens were on computers in the early days not Televisions

Amen Brother.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
14 inch more common screen size in 1950s replacing the 9 inch which had a green tinge. Larger TVs common in the 60s. But I was only born in 1946 so what do I know of life throughout the fifties and sixties? Good memories to remember having no food, that was the point of rationing so as to endure people had food, albeit in limited quantities.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I know that throughout the early 60's till the early 70's we had a small black and white 17" tv, that my dad used to repair when ever it packed up, not buy a new one. But then it's not all about size, but How long it lasts.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I remember having to switch between 405 and 625 line systems....an waiting for the tube to warm up :)

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
That story is from America where things like paper bags at the supermarket never really went out of fashion. Come to think of it the American experience is only broadly similar to our own.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That story is from America where things like paper bags at the supermarket never really went out of fashion. Come to think of it the American experience is only broadly similar to our own.

Paper bags have been out of fashion here for a couple of decades now.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
14 inch more common screen size in 1950s replacing the 9 inch which had a green tinge. Larger TVs common in the 60s. ....

Even through the 60s & 70s tv screens were 25 inches or less. Big screens (48 inch or more) didn't come out until the 80s and 90s; 52 inch screens still later.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Can't leave this one without pointing out that the immediate post-war generation were healthier and taller etc. This would not have been the case if food was in very short supply. Rations were adequate and healthy.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I think it' s'more the intent of the story than the actual accuracy over the last 3 or 4 generations.

Mind you it does remind me of a story of a young lad on a bus listening to his iPod and fiddling with his smart phone, texting, playing games etc. after a few minutes he noticed a quite old chap looking at the marvels of technology. The young lad turned to him and said, 'Bet you wish you had things like this in your day old man, all this technology is brilliant. What did you dou back then?' The old boy just smiled, looked at the lad and said, 'Yep we didn't have anything like that, we just invented it.'

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Mind you it does remind me of a story of a young lad on a bus listening to his iPod and fiddling with his smart phone, texting, playing games etc. after a few minutes he noticed a quite old chap looking at the marvels of technology. The young lad turned to him and said, 'Bet you wish you had things like this in your day old man, all this technology is brilliant. What did you dou back then?' The old boy just smiled, looked at the lad and said, 'Yep we didn't have anything like that, we just invented it.'

this is the ''phone'' i used as a kid :)
469369%7ETin-Can-and-String-Telephone-Posters.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE