Way's to tone down a watch clasp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I've got 2 strap's for my G-SHOCK and they both have stainless steel Buckles / clasp's, Anyone know of a cheap effective way to blacken these up easily.
So I can cut down the Shine. I don't want to bugger up the steel or strap.
cheer's

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
you can get stainless steel blackener, i cant remember what its called but if you google that should give you some idea. I have used it before for stainless, and simialr products for brass and gunmetal. Its like liquid you paint on then wash off, and it leaves behind a tough coating almost like anodising

EDIT: probably made by birchwood casey

Last edited:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
You could just paint them. Get a little tin of Humbrol enamel paint. It might chip after a while so it depends how smart you want the finish to look. I've used Humbrol on the adjusters on my braces to dull them down and its lasted really well though they wouldn't be subject to the same type of wear as a watchstrap.

Reactions: santaman2000

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I leave my good Seiko at home and wear a black Timex Marathon. Otherwise, the watch goes into a zippered pocket.
Canada geese are acutely suspicious of every last bit of microscopic shine in what they see.
Gauntlet black gloves are another solution to the puzzle.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
All well and good sir, but this is the watch that I want to wear, so putting it into my pocket ain't a lot of good.
Want about Black Nail Varnish or that kind of thing.
cheer's

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE