Waxing your own thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hello all,

Quick quetion for leather workers,

specificly anyone who waxes their own thread. how do you go about it?

up till now I have been using pre-waxed nylon thread, but thats nearly out.

I i'm off with the missus for the weekend and have a few bits of chrome tanned deerskin from Tandy left over,
and i'd love to be able to do up a few peices around the :campfire: in the evenings.

I have a lump of beeswax left from making green wax.

any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Baelfore

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
I just hold a lump of beeswax in one hand with the thread between my thumb and the beeswax then just pull it through with the other hand. Does that make sense??

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Thanks guys that's great. :D

I thought it might be something like that but just thought that must be too simple.

cheers!

Regards,
Baelfore

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
When you have drawn the thread through the wax you leave wax on the outside of the thread. If you use a piece of leather to protect your fingers and pinch the thread between thump and forefingerthen draw the thread quickly through your protected fingers several times, the friction will melt the wax and penetrate to the inside of the thread.

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
When you have drawn the thread through the wax you leave wax on the outside of the thread. If you use a piece of leather to protect your fingers and pinch the thread between thump and forefingerthen draw the thread quickly through your protected fingers several times, the friction will melt the wax and penetrate to the inside of the thread.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I use code, which is a mixture of bees wax, and pitch. For the pitch, I usually just collect a bag full off the nearest pines I can find. A mix of one part pitch to three of bees wax is a good start. The old method for making code is to melt the two, stir, then pour the mix into cold water just enough to make golf ball sized lumps. Of late, I have been just filling wee plastic cups (one ounce) with the hot code, letting them cool, and popping them out. The wax with pitch locks your thread in much better than does plain wax, and does aid in preservation of the thread. BTW, there seem to be about ten ways to spell code.
Woody

Jomo

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
banbury
always use linen thread its much better than new synthetic threads. Although not as strong it doesn't stretch and when waxed is rot resistant and sets and holds itself in place when sewing unlike synthetic threads

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
The best way I've found of waxing thread is to take a scrap of soft leather. Put your piece of wax in it and the place the thread on top.

Fold the leather so that it lies over the top of the thread and then draw the thread through a couple of times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE