Waxing Ventile

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you wax Ventile have you considered the fire risk?

.....and when hell has finished with you someone will push you in a camp fire! :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Waxing Ventile is heresy. If you want a greasy jacket that'll slither through the rain, do as others have said: sell the Ventile and buy a Barbour or Drizabone; whatever you do, don't wax the Ventile!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Waxing Ventile is heresy. If you want a greasy jacket that'll slither through the rain, do as others have said: sell the Ventile and buy a Barbour or Drizabone; whatever you do, don't wax the Ventile!
+1 to that
Burn the heratic!
Even contemplating waxing Ventile is herasy!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire

+2 to that.

Why not get the ventile lining for the Snowsled?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I thought ventile was waterproof anyway:p I thought my ventile jackets years ago were faulty when they leaked ;)

Sell it and get a good wax coat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep, and it'll become cold and clammy when you work up a sweat if you don't get air up and under it too :sigh:

I love my wax jacket, though I made a wool liner for it and that helps a lot, but there's still no way it's breathable. It needs the manual airflow to dry off the inside, i.e. don't tie the hem close, and leave the neckline open so that moving around draws air up and through. Draughty though.
Horses for courses.

If the OP doesn't get on with the Ventile, sell it and buy a wax one instead if that'd suit what you use the jacket for.

cheers,
Toddy

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I moved away from waxed jackets as soon as I could afford Goretex
All the waxed ones I've ever had leak in serious rain - even when new, can't say that of manmade fabrics - until they're old and delaminate
As has been said - horses for courses

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
A compromise could be to wax the exposed areas of the jacket, especially the shoulders, but leave the rest alone. That way you improve its ability to protect from rain but retain most of its breathability.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
I would also advise against waxing it. When waxed cotton is made the fibres are waxed then woven to make the cloth. Its difficult to get ready made fibres to absorb all of the wax so it would only remain waterproof for a short while and then you would have leaking patches. I personally would just buy a wax if thats what you want. The outdoor and country store (owners of barbourbymail) often have driza-bones in the sale at half price or less at the end of each "season"- i guess they just arent as fashionable as barbours.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Waxing Ventile is a waste of good wax, it's like trying to improve stewed turnip with whiskey cream sauce.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE