Waxing Ventile? Counter productive?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Antonymous

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2012
Yorkshire
I've seen a couple of references elsewhere to people waxing ventile.
My gut reaction is this would be counterproductive. Surely you want the fibres to absorb water to swell.
Am I wrong?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, you're not wrong, but what they end up with is just waxed cotton. High quality cotton, but totally compromised for any breathability.

A lot of folks don't care for their ventile though, and it gets utterly filthy, or shabby looking, and they get fed up with the weight when it's wet, so they cover it all up in wax.

I really like my wax jacket, it's pretty much bombproof, but there's no getting away from it, it's neither breathable (though it can be vented) nor is it lightweight.

Horses for courses, and some folks breed mongrels :D

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
No, you're not wrong. The whole principle of the Ventile fabric is the swelling and tightening of the fibres to shut out the water. If you need waxed cotton then far cheaper cotton will do the job.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
You could use TX-10 or whatever it's called today (proofing for cotton) by Nikwax/Grangers, you can add a water resistant layer without compromising the breathability. I've used it many times.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
I've worn a Country Innovation Rover jacket for 20 years, never done anything to it. Its double ventile and has the zip in fleece. I love it for its breathability and quietness. Waxing it would destroy that breathability.
In very heavy rain the cotton swells until no more water penetrates; the cotton stiffens up too. The result, if a bit heavy, is a damp but warm and importantly not wet. I've been through some horendous weather with it and its done what was needed. But I wouldn't consider it a true waterproof, more an environment management system.

For most of the year in Southern England with occasional foul weather then this coat is perfect. However, for Scotland, when everything is drenched most of the time, absolutely saturated, then only a full waterproof can manage. There is so much moisture, pure wet, that non of the "breathing" technologies can function. Goretex, Event, doesn't matter the way they work hasn't a chance to shift heat vapour out. The best that can be achieved is a waterproof barrier verging on a dry suit. Self generated moisture has to be vented out and managed with wicking fabrics of the inner cloths. Under garments that stay dry if steamy, but retain warmth even when damp.

Warm and steamy is fine when working. Its what you do when you stop working. That requires a change of cloths to a dry set. Managing your wet and your dry is the biggest challenge for extended expeditions. Thankfully most adventures last the day, or just a couple, before retiring to a central heated house. If you can't then after a while some kind of drying shelter has to organised where damp kit can be fully dried. Its why front line soldiers are rotated from the front to the rear. Its why most people who work in the wet have several set of cloths, one wet, one drying, and one dry. Keeping well is all about moisture management. Often sleep in the dry set and get back into the wet set in the morning to conserve the dry set. Do whatever it takes.

Cold feet are from wet in your socks and blood circulation. Warm feet: very dry socks and not tight boots. Change socks often as even foot sweat is enough to be too wet that will hold the cold.

Suwarrow

Jul 7, 2016
London
Out of interest does anyone know if there is much difference between Fjallraven G1000 material and Ventile?

I ask because Fjallraven actively promote waxing certain areas of their G1000 garments.

If they are similar materials then the surely it may be beneficial to wax certain exposed areas such shoulders and leave other bits to breathe.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Out of interest does anyone know if there is much difference between Fjallraven G1000 material and Ventile?

I ask because Fjallraven actively promote waxing certain areas of their G1000 garments.

If they are similar materials then the surely it may be beneficial to wax certain exposed areas such shoulders and leave other bits to breathe.

Fjallraven's offering is a polycotton of average tight weave - Ventile is an incredibly tight wove 100% cotton.
Two totally different fabrics working on two totally different technical methods ...
Check out the manufacturer's descriptions ...
http://www.ventile.co.uk/about/
https://www.fjallraven.co.uk/guides/material-guides/g-1000
You cannot think of them in the same brain, talk of them in the same breath, never mind treat them the same! :)

Suwarrow

Jul 7, 2016
London
Thanks John. That makes sense.

I thought as they are both cotton it might be similar technology but clearly not.

I love my Fjallraven jacket. It's tough, warm and wind proof but in anything heavier than a light shower I have to switch to a waterproof jacket.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks John. That makes sense.

I thought as they are both cotton it might be similar technology but clearly not.

I love my Fjallraven jacket. It's tough, warm and wind proof but in anything heavier than a light shower I have to switch to a waterproof jacket.

I used to love my Fjallraven - then I discovered Ventile :D
Once you try it and learn how to use it then there is no going back to 65% poly....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE