Waxing my sack .....

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Had a good day today , nice project and i learnt loads :)

Looking at the " Frost River " cataloge and theres a canvas bag for carrying logs ,,ideal for meets when you need to take some wood :p

First things first fire up the stove ,

The canvas that I used came from an army canvas bag that as far as i know was used for collecting heavy drop chutes after use, really nice old canvas

Canvas all over is what is called for so the old Singer hand crank was used to make some straps

Bit of sewing later and here it is ,

Loads of time left to wax my sack :)

Melted the beeswax and paraffin wax on a trivet placed on the stove

Painted it on with a pure bristle brush ...good fun that was :D

Then a problem ...can not find me heat gun and for some reason Sylvia will not let me use her hair dryer ...

Hmmm what would they have done back in the day ....:confused:

Here you go

Worked a treat

This is the end product ,,good fun :)

Twodogs

Last edited:

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
That's a good job there Cliff! Another tip is using the tumble dryer to heat the material before painting but I doubt they had those back in the day either! ;) I need to make a canvas pouch for my folding bucksaw so Ill use this as inspiration.

On a side note, I really like that shovel you have. could I have some more info on it please?

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
Sorry lads can't resist- it looks sooooo smoooooooth.

Great job on the log bag-watch your missus doesn't take it for the shopping run tho'.........

Ps Davey... that shovel looks like a spade to me?!

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Nice one, i recently waxed a Russian ak47 mag pouch, supprising how much wax you need. I was lucky as the wife was out and could use the hairdryer.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Good Job on the bag mate.

Is that an "Oven" next to your fire ? I'm thinking that it sits on top of your stove ?
Your really getting some use out of the "bat cave"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE