Waxing Fjallraven G-1000 - alternatives to Greenland Wax?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I've got a stack of Fjallraven kit, and regularly use Greenland Wax and an iron to improve water resistance. However, I've been lucky enough to lay my hands on a Smock No 1, and whilst I love it, I need better water resistance than the wax gives, and I'm not sure that Greenland Wax will do the job very well.

I've already washed it in Nikwax, does anyone have experience with other proofing on G-1000? I have a bottle of Nikwax waxed cotton proof, but don't want to hit it with that unless someone else has tried it?

Thanks in advance.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If I may say something, you seem to want more water protection that a treated fabric can offer you.
Maybe better to buy something made from a more high tech material?

Greenland wax is basically as good as a wax gets. I have used both the G. wax and original Barbour products with the same result.
These clothes will never be as water resistant as a proper mac or similar.

Reactions: Herman30

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
For real water resistance on canvas can help only canvas tent spray. But I don't know if this will work over the waxed Fjallraven canvas. For Fjallraven I will be used recommended Fjallraven kit Greenland Wax. Any way Fjallraven canvas is not rain garment.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
hi mate,
have a search on here, there are a couple of posts on this subject.
I'm a long term FR fan and have a Singi jacket that i wear all the time, in most weathers. i use a mix of home made g1000 wax (plenty of youtube guides) and Nikwax spray-on cotton wax (made specifically for wax garments).The trick is to slowly build up plenty of layers and not wash them out unless you really need to.
it did take me a couple of months of waxing, wearing, finding the damp spots, retreating etc. but I'm more than happy wearing it in anything but prolonged, heavy rain.
But, as Janne says, and FR themselves say, G1000 is not a waterproof shell.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
hi mate,
have a search on here, there are a couple of posts on this subject.
I'm a long term FR fan and have a Singi jacket that i wear all the time, in most weathers. i use a mix of home made g1000 wax (plenty of youtube guides) and Nikwax spray-on cotton wax (made specifically for wax garments).The trick is to slowly build up plenty of layers and not wash them out unless you really need to.
it did take me a couple of months of waxing, wearing, finding the damp spots, retreating etc. but I'm more than happy wearing it in anything but prolonged, heavy rain.
But, as Janne says, and FR themselves say, G1000 is not a waterproof shell.
Thanks everyone, I've got stacks of Fjallraven so I'm well aware of the limitations. The challenge with the Smock No 1 is that it's a bit of a s*d to get the wax on. I've already purchased the Nikwax spray-on, so based on this I'll give it a shot.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I personally like when the fabric resting on the shoulders and going maybe 5 inches below, is as water proof as possible. The rest I do not care so much about. So I have been waxing the top part a lot, and the lower part much less.

I did wax a Barbour very heavily once, it became sticky on the inside and very heavy. Almost ruined it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks everyone, I've got stacks of Fjallraven so I'm well aware of the limitations. The challenge with the Smock No 1 is that it's a bit of a s*d to get the wax on. I've already purchased the Nikwax spray-on, so based on this I'll give it a shot.

I agree. I haven’t even attempted Anorak No8 yet, but put about 4 coats of Greenland on an Amazonas tarp wallet. With the aid of a hairdryer it still was a pain to get a good melt into the thirsty fabric. I still have the hat to do.

I reckon the belltent could take a coat of something. That’d be what I’d use on my jacket too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE