Waxing an old Fjallraven Thin jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mahomasy

Aug 13, 2013
Sweden
Was lucky enough to pick up a vintage Fjallraven Thin jacket at the weekend for 2 quid :) it's hard to find any info about it online, has a thinsulate filling with a polycotten outer.

The outer doesn't seem as thick as the wax able Greenland so I'm not sure if this model was meant to be waxed. Anyone have this jacket or know about these older models?
I guess I can give it a whirl just concerned it might turn into a patchy mess!

Link to pic of jacket here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebmpck96q1eia7r/Photo 02-09-2013 17 24 34.jpg

Cheers,
Mark

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
Quite honestly I wouldn't bother. I would have thought the clock would have run out on Fjällräven's G1000 long ago with the vast choice of outdoor clothing on the market that actually is wind + waterproof. Rubbing on their Greenland wax and ironing it in is like something from the 70's (though the wax does a decent turn on zips).
It doesn't really work and effects breathability. If I were you I'd spray some Brashers or Nikwax proofer on it instead. Easier and more effective.
I have bought from Fjällräven in the past, but they now charge silly money for lower quality poly/cotton goods increasingly made in China.
When my several old pairs of trousers finally wear out I'll be looking elsewhere.
That said, two quid for a vintage made in Sweden jacket is a result. Loppis was it?

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
+1 for not bothering with the wax! imo for waterproofing it's a waste of time, go the grangers etc route. The wax does seem to improve wind / weather resistance though, obviously at the price of breathability.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I have a pair of the fjallraven Greenland pro trousers and they are the best pair of trousers I have ever owned. I prefer the g1000 material as I am in to more traditional garments and they are the best cross between traditional and modern and give great protection and they are also very strong hard wearing and have great longevity. For the wax you just give it an even coat then melt in with either a hair dryer or an iron. I'm not sure where you would go with this because of the lining. However on the wax box it says it can be used with all g1000 material and it can also be washed to get the wax out to make it more lightweight and breathable for the summer.

Mahomasy

Aug 13, 2013
Sweden
I just thought firstly of using the wax as I have a bar at home that I've used on a vintage Greenland jacket with reasonable results. Never had much issues with breathability and it held up well in showers and light rain, never tried it in anything heavier. Found its best to just rub on the wax and lash it in the tumble dryer for a bit.

Never tried those other products so have no point of reference there. My main concern with this jacket was that the outer didn't seem as thick as the g1000 stuff I've seen before so thought maybe it predated it.

I did pick it up at a Loppis yes, gotten some great bargains lately, at this particular one I got the jacket, a trangia and a hip flask for under 50kr. Grand job!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE