Help - waxing polycotton clothing - Fjallraven etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy_P

Mar 21, 2010
Sheffield, UK
I'm after some advice on waxing polycotton clothing like fjallraven, combats etc.

I've bought a Fjallraven g1000 shirt and it's a great bit of kit. I'm after something I can use around a fire, while working with wood / thorny branches etc that wont get ripped to shreds and this seems a good bit of kit. I've got one block of greenlandwax, but at 8 quid a block and re waxing after two washes it seems an expensive option.

I've seen topics before about people making up a liquid wax with beeswax and turps etc on a stove and brushing it onto cotton garments, I'm assuming this would be a slightly more permanent solution (bit more like a waxed cotton jacket?) than rubbing in the greenland wax as and where required.

Anyone got any tips for cheaper waxing products or DIY bodges?

cheers

Andy

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just make your own. Beeswax, paraffin wax, carranuba wax, paraffin, real turpentine. Various combinations and proportions of them make all the leather treatment, garment wax and furniture polish you will ever need :)

Andy_P

Mar 21, 2010
Sheffield, UK
Sounds like a fun evening with the chemistry set :)

What do I do, just gently heat the waxes in the turps until its all blends in to a paste/cream? Any suggestions for proportions/percentages and suppliers for the materials?

cheers

Andy

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Plus one to what Red said, it's mainly parrafin and beeswax. Melt it to make a block then let it set. Rub it in evenly and take a paint stripper to it, repeat as necessary. Cheap as chips. Be careful if adding turps, you don't need it but there's a great recipe involving it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Use a double boiler to melt the wax, add the liquids, remove from the heat and pour into the jars.

There are dozens of recipes on the net - just google "beeswax leather conditioner" or whatever you are looking for. Don't over complicate it, have a go - it really is simple.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Fjellraven - overpriced s###e throughout the range.
Pinewood is now my polycotton clothing of choice, as they use the same fabric as FR, but at about a third of the price.
Homemade wax sound good, no one should buy the original FR-wax more than once at this price.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE