Wax paper anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I've been playing with learning firestarting skills (my neighbors think I'm either a pyromaniac or mad. Possibly both.) and have been focusing on "common" firestarting materials: tinder fungus, cotton balls in vaseline/wax, etc.

I found out something that I'm not sure has been posted here. If it has, please forgive me. I searched, but didn't find anything specifically on this.

Wax paper... you know, the paper treated with wax used for cooking/non stick purposes and sold by the roll cheaply in almost every grocery store? That stuff makes excellent tinder.

It doesn't burn long. But a section of it can be folded up rather compactly into a survival tin, I would think.

Even with my ham-handed firestarting skills, I was able to set it alight with my Firesteel. I'd rip off a chunk of the corner of the sheet, rip it up into small pieces, and pile these up against the corner of the remainder of the sheet, which had been crumpled up in a ball. A few strikes later and the ripped part lit, which immediately set ablaze the wadded up ball.

I'll have to see if it's waterproof (I imagine it is, what with the wax protecting the paper).

I was able to get a decent fire going last night using this stuff...

Doc

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To the Scots out there, try the wrapping from a plain loaf :rolleyes:
I know, I know, "Bad stuff, no goodness, no bran, no........" but it's brilliant for toast, it doesn't fall apart in the soup, wipes up the gravy, and I have to admit, the outsiders are mine! :eek: :swordfigh :D

Back on topic; haven't tried the cake tin stuff; nice one :)

cheers,
Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey Doc,
You really are on a quest to set the world alight!
I haven't tried wax paper yet (but I will soon, now that it has been mentioned). I tried a candle, which was difficult until you get the knack.
You'll have to try things like tortilla chips, prawn crakers and brazil nuts :cool:

ATB

Ogri the trog

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I was curious about setting it ablaze given how well the cotton w/wax on it burns. I was eyeing the Parchment paper in our "various and sundry rolled product goods, such as aluminum foil, cling wrap, wax paper, etc." drawer, but I figured that it wouldn't be waterproof, at which point you may as well just carry some tissues.

I've tried the candle w/firesteel, but failed. My "kung fu" isn't good enough yet to do that trick.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've tried the candle w/firesteel, but failed. My "kung fu" isn't good enough yet to do that trick.

Of course there's a trick to it - or a technique if you like.
It has to be a candle with a charred wick, which you have to tease it out very thin and fibrous. It's sometimes easier to hold the striker and candle in one hand and move the flint:cool:
After a bit of practice, its a great party piece!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Gailainne

Life Member
With a candle, the wick does'nt normally have enough surface area, you need to either fluff it up, (like you would a feather stick) ot else add cotton wool, and fluff that up, plus a lot of perseverence, (try, try, try, and try again stuff), truth be told I would prefer searching out the right tinder, getting a fire going and then lighting the candle from it :D much easier.

Stephen

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for the tip Doc, I reckon I`ll be trying that next time SWMBO goes out.

Have you tested it after a soaking yet, like falling into a river soaking ???

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the tip Doc, I reckon I`ll be trying that next time SWMBO goes out.

Have you tested it after a soaking yet, like falling into a river soaking ???

Not yet. That's on tonight's agenda. That and something involving vodka martinis.

SWMBO (which is something I also refer to the wife as) is out of town, so I'm a bachelor this week.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Not yet. That's on tonight's agenda. That and something involving vodka martinis.

SWMBO (which is something I also refer to the wife as) is out of town, so I'm a bachelor this week.

Hmmm, Vodka, potential pyromaniac, reading BCuk and the wifes away recipe for disaster, or at least scorched carpets and work tops:yikes:
It is times like this that people come up with ideas such as thermite filled arrows:Thinkingo :nono:

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It is times like this that people come up with ideas such as thermite filled arrows:Thinkingo :nono:

The evening hasnt' turned out *quite* as I had it planned. I substituted Guinness for the vodka (the vodka will come tomorrow).

As for the thermite arrows... Have you been talking to my wife?!

Doc

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm, Vodka, potential pyromaniac, reading BCuk and the wifes away recipe for disaster, or at least scorched carpets and work tops:yikes:

You've met my bother then :rolleyes: The scary thing is they work :yikes:

Outsiders/ Heels of the loaf......usually we call them doorsteps :eek: :D

cheers,
Toddy.......oh, and if you *really* want your paper to flareup nicely :D , try soaking it in a mixture of water and saltpetre and then drying it off.....brilliant :cool:

M

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
The ends of a loaf are called 'the crusts' and please stop this talk of drink as I'm on a weekend only thing and have just come off call so need no temptation on a Thursday night ta very much :p .

BTW what was this thread about? Oh aiye :rolleyes: :lmao: great idea Doc. Let us know how you get on wet :D .

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I was right. I drenched the wax paper in the sink and it still went right up. It *might* have been a little harder to start, but nothing difficult.

There were some water droplets on the paper after shaking it off, which made an interesting "sizzle" as the paper burned... But they didn't prevent the paper from lighting.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I have a plan - It'll make me millions. I'm off to get a while load of tesco own brand (value if they do it), paint the box green, put a RM logo on it and chuck it on evil bay. I'm thinking it'll do at least as well as the fuellid.

;)

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Wax paper being used by Rob from Woodsmoke to light a hangi fire. It is good stuff.
1652346519_19c55c26f3.jpg

For those inclined...:naughty: there's a guy on ebay that sells all the ingredients for thermite, including something to light it! :D

And for those who have no knowledge of the stuff, read "The Monkey Wrench Gang" , apparently for a good demonstration of what it's capable of! snigger! Now thats what i call fire lighting!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE