Waterproofing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 13, 2006
Worcestershire
Hello,

I am looking to do some DIY waterproofing and wondered if anyone had a good receipe.

I have beeswax and tallow and vegetable oil. If I heat this all up together until liquid and then apply would this do the trick?

regards,
Ayame

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Fjallraven used to recommend rubbing your garments with beeswax (available in good healthfood shops in tiny ingots) and then ironing the fabric. It works fairly well but does make the fabric a bit stiff. mixing it with tallow and veg oil should help keep it all supple.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Barbour etc use a propriety wax dressing that is less solid then beeswax at room temperature. Don't know what's in it.

Fjallraven's 'Greenland wax' is used on their polycotton gear. It says it is a mix of beeswax and paraffin wax. Works well, smells fine.

Calvin Rustrum (New Way of the Wilderness) advocated treating felt hats with lanolin (wool fat) dissolved in petrol. The petrol evaporates leaving the hat waterproof. Petrol carries various risks, of course.

I've used melted beeswax on hot moist leather and it renders the leather waterproof and very stiff. I gather this method was used to make armour.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If you are going to use wax to waterproof cotton you can use parafin wax (ordinary candles). Melt the wax in a double boiler and dip the cotton item into the wax. It will go hard and be lumpy when you remove it. Then dip the item again into hot water for a few seconds. This removes most of the excess wax. Leave it to dry and it should be waterproof. Of course it depends on what the item is. Cotton bags for carrying rations works well with thiss method, but clothes don't. The best waterproofing for cotton clothing ot tentage is Thompson's Waterseal. It stinks when you apply it, but the smell goes if it is aired in a cool breeze.

Eric

G

gwing

Eric_Methven said:
If you are going to use wax to waterproof cotton you can use parafin wax (ordinary candles). Melt the wax in a double boiler and dip the cotton item into the wax. It will go hard and be lumpy when you remove it. Then dip the item again into hot water for a few seconds. This removes most of the excess wax. Leave it to dry and it should be waterproof. Of course it depends on what the item is. Cotton bags for carrying rations works well with thiss method, but clothes don't. The best waterproofing for cotton clothing ot tentage is Thompson's Waterseal. It stinks when you apply it, but the smell goes if it is aired in a cool breeze.

Eric

When I were a kid the 'proofed cotton jacket I had did get damp in the rain. Just rubbing a candle over the shoulder area worked a treat :)

Aug 13, 2006
Worcestershire
WhichDoctor said:
Do you mind me asking what your making? Sounds interesting.

Well I'm not really making anything just repairing a waterproof hat that got ripped. I've got to sow it too (or might use epoxy glue to attach cotton strip) as I want to get the seams tight and then plaster them with wax. I'll let everyone know how it goes :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE