Waterproofing parcel string

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 28, 2020
Wakefield
Hi,this is relevant to bushcraft,
I bought a willow framed canoe a few years ago,
I want to use it,but it's tied with parcel string which will rot at some point,
I've toyed with idea of using stainless nails or screws, will obviously have to watch for puncturing the skin,
I'll post pics from a pc as my phone is refusing to
Cheers Oldfart68

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No, I have my doubts.

The frame was tied so it will FLEX. Replacing that with something rigid will cause failure at the joints.

You need artificial string of some form. Parcel string is that cotton stuff the post office sells in rolls, yes?

(I use it as thick wick in my outdoor candles)

So, something like old sash cord??

Linen string is very tough and if soaked in fat or wax it will last a long time if not abraded.

Im sure there is someone out there who knows more than I do.

But, it would be grand to see your boat.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I feel your pain Oldfart68 there comes a time when you don't want to keep faffing about replacing or rebuilding something every few years. In the electronics industry we have this stuff called "lacing cord" for bundling cables, very thin, very strong.
[ribbon type just 1.4mm x 0.6mm will hold 38kg/85lbs]
You may be able to use it to reinforce everything in place as it is without removing the original string.

Reactions: Oldfart68

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I used to be able to get waxed linen cord .. perfect for the job, strong, static and lasts for ever. I'll see if I can better direct you to the stuff. Imagine a 2mm waxed whipping cord.

Reactions: Oldfart68
Jul 28, 2020
Wakefield
No, I have my doubts.

The frame was tied so it will FLEX. Replacing that with something rigid will cause failure at the joints.

You need artificial string of some form. Parcel string is that cotton stuff the post office sells in rolls, yes?

(I use it as thick wick in my outdoor candles)

So, something like old sash cord??

Linen string is very tough and if soaked in fat or wax it will last a long time if not abraded.

Im sure there is someone out there who knows more than I do.

But, it would be grand to see your boat.
Yes it is the stuff from the post office,
Good point about flexing as well, cheers

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pictures:
A. you need to put your pictures in some internet photo-hosting site and link up from that.
B. buy a BCUK membership. Then you can link straight up from your computer.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No, that's not the cord that I use at all. Plus, that's an obscene price. I'd keep looking for that.
I'm surprised as it's used for both construction and repair of salmon nets and purse seine nets on our Pacific coast.
Maybe for you guys, it has a different name. I buy it from Pacific Net & Twine.
My link is wrecked but I'll try to post a fresh one.

The black on these handles is the tarred seine cord over seasoned birch.
AdzesB.JPG

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Thank you, that would be grest

Here, try this:

This is what the stuff I used to be able to get actually looked like. Brown, flat, waxed linen cord ...

This says its 1mm, and that may be correct. I think 2mm was a bit of an overguess on my part .. it being flat :)

Anyway, chandlers, leather supply shops, beading suppliers; they all have some or another option on this. About a fiver for 250m. Linen is not the only option ... there's poly too, and blends

Got any pics of your cnoo? :) Love to see it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE