Waterproof stuff sack for sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Does anyone know of something like the df stuff sack but big enough to take a winter bag?
5c5d34d5a6a92a0549094a38c7d9993c.jpg

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Dean4442,

Have you looked at the side-lock buckle closing dry bags?

Usually used inside a ruck - I've used them in the past externally whilst wet gap crossing and they have done the job - but if you don't think that the material is tough enough say for continuous carriage on the out/underside of a ruck you could always pull a tougher PU or canvas bag over them?

Just a thought.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
I've used and have loads but wanted something with either the straps attached or loops to put straps through so there is no chance of it slipping out, paranoid I know!

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I very recently sent for a Swiss Army Stuff Sack from GOARMY surplus stores....£3.50........it is basically a duffle bag made of strong waterproof material. I bought it for a British Arctic Bag and it fits uncompressed with room to spare, the only slight let down is the bag is basically a tube of waterproof material with a round disk of waterproof material sowed into the bottom, which means if stood in water it would leak through the stitches...for protection against rain and snow etc. though I cannot fault it.........lots of other uses for the bag too which is why I sent for a couple more after receiving the first one.

D.B.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I've got some of the Alpkit Airlok Xtra's https://www.alpkit.com/featured/dry-bags , and they are very good value for money, and are pretty tough (the 35L should be big enough for a winter. bag) The easiest thing to do is to use a normal compression bag on the sleeping bag first (even better if its midly water proof), and then put the whole lot inside the main dry bag, which you can then attach to a rucksack and strap down properly. But it would be easier to put the sleeping bag inside the rucksack, if possible, simply to stop it flapping around and to protect it.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
British army arctic bag, compression sacks.

Army surplus shops or Ebay, £5 - £10 each.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I wrap mine in the bivvy bag and stuff it into the bottom of the pack. Moulds much better to the size this way than with a compression sack making it an awkward beach ball shape.

At home i keep it out the bivvy to let it breathe a bit. Normally i put it through the tumble dryer on a cool setting too which seems to get all the moisture out.

Tonyuk

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Just to give some more info, I use an Alice pack with the hellcat mods and have the mass sleep system carrier on the bottom. It's just a bit big and I was looking for a smaller alternative, I don't want to put the bag inside the pack or that will be all the space used up. I can just strap a dry bag underneath but wondered if there was anything better or even some stick on loops to add to a drybag.

Last edited:

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
If you use a compression sack or dry bag, just attach and clinch up on the bottom of your pack with straps. there's no way you'll lose it if, it's clinched up tight.

Most dry bags have a couple of tie off points, on the base and roll top clips together.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I bought some Karrimor ones in a assortment of sizes from sportsdirect, I was surprised buy the quality. For the money there decent dry bags.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
The alpkit ones look great, and I can use the loops to fix them to my pack. Only down side is the number of other shiny things on there!!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The alpkit ones look great, and I can use the loops to fix them to my pack. Only down side is the number of other shiny things on there!!

You have Old Bones above to thank for the original nudge in the Alpkit direction. And yes, there's some tempting stuff on the site ;)

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Alpkit sells itself!

They have always been a nice company to deal with, and its decent kit and decent prices. Unfortunately, its a good hours schelp for me to go to their showroom, but if your close by, you might get a bargain, and if nothing else, you can try clothing etc on for size.

I'd still recommend putting a sleeping bag inside a pack if possible - its something you really dont want to get wet or damaged. And if that means getting another pack, its often cheaper and easier than buying a new sleeping bag.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Gelert do a sideways compression bag for £2.99. I already had a waterproof bag for my winter sleeping bag but did not want a compression bag that squashes from the top and as Tony says ' makes a beach ball '.
I wanted a side squash one so the bag fitted on my North Face waterproof duffle bag . Long story, but I was on crutches at the time and was towing my kit on a small trolley.
Anyway at that price it was not worth making one. It has 3 comp' straps, although I may move the top one further down as it's a bit near the top when you pull the drawstring shut.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have a selection of Exped dry bags. The oldest looks fine but has lost all water resistance and leaks like a wet sock, not out of seams or pin holes, but out of every pore everywhere. So even top brand bags in the thinner types won't last for ever. I would never have used it on the outside of a pack, certainly not at the bottom to hold a sleeping bag. For that I used to use an Ortlieb PS490 dry bag. Heavier than I like, but very strong so no fears about it being damaged by being on the bottom of a pack dumped on the ground, into a vehicle, or into a boat. Both bags are the same age, the PS490 is still as waterproof as ever after 11 years.

Dr Toerag

Apr 9, 2015
Birmingham
I just got the Swiss Army Stuff Sack from GOARMY after seeing it on this thread, it turns out to be the perfect size to fit inside the LK35. Given that the waterproof bag is £3.50 from GoArmy.co.uk and the LK35 is £12.50 from Military Mart, it's a (cheap) marriage made in heaven!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE