Waterproof phone

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My son in law (to be) recently got one of these

Samsung-Galaxy-S4-Active-.jpeg

Galaxy S4 Active review http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phone/3454113/samsung-galaxy-s4-active-review/

As BCUK seems to attract people who keep dropping their phone one of these would be good.

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
I got one after dropping my standard S4 in the toilet.

The screen's not as clear or responsive and apparently the camera isn't as good, but I reckon that's a small hardship in return for peace of mind.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
My son in law (to be) recently got one of these

Samsung-Galaxy-S4-Active-.jpeg

Galaxy S4 Active review http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phone/3454113/samsung-galaxy-s4-active-review/

As BCUK seems to attract people who keep dropping their phone one of these would be good.

Note that your picture is not of the S4, but rather the Sony Xperia Z - another waterproof phone, and one which I have. It's great - and is top spec. Leaps ahead of my old motorolla defy which was a fairly common rugged smartphone of a few years back. I don't think the xperia z is sold as rugged, but these days, build quality is standard phones is pretty good. At the end of the day, as long as it is waterproof, that's the main thing - it's easy to get good rugged cases for most phones, but not many have particularly slim and functional everyday useable waterproof cases!

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Do not drop your xperia z. I dropped mine once and it got written off as uneconomical to repair. I loved it and am appalled by the service of my network.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
jcb or lan' rover MAAAAAAN phone. You can drop it like all your other Man stuff too! Virtually imbecile proof.

I got a clear waterproof case too, that you can attach to yourself so you cant drop it.

Also that nano waterproofing stuff is supposed to work.

I'm off to have a yorkie bar, pint of carling, and some mcoys crisps.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
JCB type tough phones are OK, but lack a lot of features found on modern smart phones. To be honest I just don't drop my phone and don't see how people drop them in streams etc, what on earth are they doing making a call mid stream lol. My 'camping' phone is an HTC HD7 and its housed in a leather flip case so quite resilient to bumps and I keep it in a zip lock when not in use.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
jcb or lan' rover MAAAAAAN phone. You can drop it like all your other Man stuff too! Virtually imbecile proof.

I got a clear waterproof case too, that you can attach to yourself so you cant drop it.

Also that nano waterproofing stuff is supposed to work.

I'm off to have a yorkie bar, pint of carling, and some mcoys crisps.

Yorkie bar and Mcoys crisps yes, but why not choose a real mans drink, like Hobgoblin for example - rather than a girly coloured fizzy pop? :beerchug:

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I got a life proof case for my iPhone and rate it highly. If you have already invested in a normal smartphone they are worth a look.

I had a life proof case on my iPhone 4S. Loved that it was rugged and water proof but I scaped it as everyone had troubles hearing me speak. I got wife to call me from my phone and true enough it sounded like she was at the end if a strong talking into a tin can. Shane really as I live taking the phone out paddling and taking pictures when out and about

Orric

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I sold my S3 after having it for nearly a year as I was finding a smartphone too distracting. I'm trying to unplug, slow down and focus. Anyway - instead of insurance, I bought an Otterbox case for it and a screen protector. It looked brand new when I took it out, and it has been dropped a few times.

The case isn't waterproof - but highly recommended.

otterbox-for-samsung-galaxy-s3-commuter-series-night-sky-p35328-300.jpg

I got the Commuter, but there are much more extreme models available.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Got told Sony don't accept water damage as a fault. Basically it's waterproof down to 1m for 30 mins but only if ports closed properly. How can you be sure they're closed? Guess that's their thinking, not foolproof.

s4active is a cut down version. 8mp camera and less powerful processor. also there's an issue with the bumper fixed to the case as ruggedization, can't remember what though.

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
Got told Sony don't accept water damage as a fault. Basically it's waterproof down to 1m for 30 mins but only if ports closed properly. How can you be sure they're closed? Guess that's their thinking, not foolproof.

s4active is a cut down version. 8mp camera and less powerful processor. also there's an issue with the bumper fixed to the case as ruggedization, can't remember what though.

You're right about the camera, but any photographer will tell you that there's little real-world difference between 8 and 13 megapixels. They have the same sensor, which (considering it's small size) does potentially give the Active the advantage, especially in low-light situations without using flash.

You're wrong about the CPU though as both models have the same processor in the UK, a Quad-core 1.9 GHz Krait 300 with a Qualcomm APQ8064T Snapdragon 600 chipset.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE