Waterproof Pants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
i've always called trousers "pant's", could be my families manchester roots to blaim, but if pants are called trousers why do we wear "underpants" :rolleyes: not that i do still prefer boxers :D

back to the thread thought, i wear a pair of Berghaus aquafoil overtrousers for walking and rate them a lot, but for the woods and round camp don't really bother

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Pants or trousers, one thing I'd say about waterproof is that I find it really helps if they've got 3/4 length two-way zips in the legs - much easier to get on and off, and you can open the zips from the top to provide ventilation (and get into your pockets). Berghaus aquafoil here too.

I got Berghaus Paclite for myself and DH about 5 years ago and they are still going strong. They cost a fortune, but they are very breathable. I've worn mine all day when hiking in persistent rain in Iceland and kept dry - apart from sweat around the waist which was under the rucksack hip belt. DH ripped his on a barbed wire fence (tut tut! I don't know why he was climbing over a fence!), but a wee length of duct tape inside fixed them.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I have a few types of waterproof pants.

Different types perform in different ways. The waterproof membrane type (Gore-Tex, eVent, etc) all rustle when you walk - some more than others - and will leak wherever they are pierced. Apart from that they are totally waterproof when undamaged.

Some are designed to be a complete trouser/pant and some are designed to be an over trouser. Some are reinforced to give extra strength as membrane type garments tend to damage fairly easily. There are also very thin lightweight ones that are great for carrying but easily damaged, they also tend to be expensive.

Soft shell trousers are an interesting solution. I have a pair of Schoeller pants that are highly water and stain resistant. These pants are silent (no rustling) and they stretch. If they are pierced by something they won't leak at that point, unless it's a full on tear of course. One downside is that, unlike Gore-Tex, they aren't 1000% waterproof and will eventually let water through if you are in a heavy downpour for a long time.

Paramo have a similar solution to Schoeller, in as much as they are a soft shell product, and they are supposed to be excellent but I haven't personally tried them.

Another solution that I don't use but it is inexpensive is synthetic fabric that has been treated with DWR (water repellent coating). These garments will be highly water resistant at first and will fairly quickly (depending on usage) degrade in performance. After a few washings it won't perform very well but can be rejuvenated by using Nikwax waterproofing or a similar product. The advantage of this type of clothing is that it is cheap so not a big deal if it gets damaged.

There is also ventile but I haven't tried it so I can't comment. It is an expensive cotton material that, like Schoeller, isn't 100% waterproof but does offer a high level of water resistance and ought to be hard wearing.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive got some ventile trousers, and im afraid they are pants! :D
Luckilly I didn't pay for them. I did buy some Fjallraven foresters and they are half the price and excellent if proofed, and combined with gators/poncho or waterproof breathable trousers over the top, when it rearly gets wet.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
What size waist are you Machiavelli? I have a pair of waterproof breathable which don't fit me (they're about a 34 - 36 waist) at a guess but really not sure. They are over trousers and pack away to nothing which your'e welcome to if you want them.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I've yet to find a situation where waterproof trousers are preferable to gaiters and a long jacket. Early part of the shooting season I sometimes wear waxed cotton overtrousers/chaps when beating through thick brambles, but ditch them as soon as they're not needed.

Tobes

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I've yet to find a situation where waterproof trousers are preferable to gaiters and a long jacket. Early part of the shooting season I sometimes wear waxed cotton overtrousers/chaps when beating through thick brambles, but ditch them as soon as they're not needed.

Isn't there a contradiction in the above?

(Just being a bit 'picky' this morning!)

Jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE