Waterproof note book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Are these all pretty standard? I want to get a waterproof note book so that I can scribble down a few reminders and will be able to use them outdoors without paper melting away. I don't get out too much for practicing things, and when I'm out, more often than not there is no phone signal, so it'd be handy for me to have little pointers and reminders...plus it's nice to not rely on YouTube videos when out as much as I do currently.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Forestry field note books here all have waterproof pages. Pencil or many brands of ball-point pen Duk's Bak.

Find a shop that sells field supplies to land surveyors. Expect a hard cover book, maybe 6" x 8" with several styles of refill page-packs.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Rite in the rain are ok but will still get wet eventually. Maybe try rock paper?

To be honest a normal notebook can survive quote a lot if you protect it just a little bit and then let it dry out when back home.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Before waterproof notebooks I used a pocket photograph album and wrote on the plastic (put white paper inside for the marker to stand out or to write on the paper itself) with either a permanent/non permanent marker pen. Depending if notes needed to be kept or not.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Isn't there a dictaphone in your smartphone?

There is indeed, it's more for handy notes and diagrams, some knots, etc.
I can set up my tend no bother, but I haven't set up a tarp much and whilst I know I could figure it out, it'd be nice to see a few videos, write down some various techniques and then just have that as a crib sheet/reminder sheet.

I can't remember what I was doing now, but a little while back I saw a video on YouTube, went into the woods, couldn't remember one of the steps, took out my phone to refresh my memory and....no signal...

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
There is indeed, it's more for handy notes and diagrams, some knots, etc.
I can set up my tend no bother, but I haven't set up a tarp much and whilst I know I could figure it out, it'd be nice to see a few videos, write down some various techniques and then just have that as a crib sheet/reminder sheet.

I can't remember what I was doing now, but a little while back I saw a video on YouTube, went into the woods, couldn't remember one of the steps, took out my phone to refresh my memory and....no signal...
Honestly any little notebook with decent paper will do. Just use a pencil or ballpoint pen (or waterproof ink if you’re into fountain pens and other refillable options). If you got for less aborbant paper with a smooth surface it will actually put up with quite a lot of rain, and you will be able to read stuff no problem even in heavy rain. If you want to make notes in the rain, either shelter it with your body (a tree etc) and keep it closed in between or keep it in a ziplock bag that’s big enough for you to put your hand in and write inside the bag. The trick is to be gentle with the pages while they are wet, so open and close and then let it dry out once you’re back home. For info that you want to refer to often and that is crucial to your safety - write it on the inside of the cover.

I have Rite in the Rain notebooks for mucky fieldwork and when things risk being left in a puddle of water for a while (during boat transport etc) and use a pencil to write in them. For glacial fieldwork and SOTA (amateur radio in the hills) I just have a normal small notebook that lives in a pocket and only comes out when needed. It’s not as messy, usually not as heavy rain and I’ve got more options for which pens to use.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Now, if you *want* to buy a special notebook to use for this, I’m behind you all the way! The more stationery the better is my motto. :)

I’ve never tried stone paper (ground up rock in a resin) but they might be better than the waxy rite in the rain paper. You do need to be selective in which pens you use as they will get worn down on the stone!

Rite in the rain have more options than you can possibly want. I’d go with small stapled if you want it to be comfortable in a trouser /shirt pocket and for stuff you might want to keep referring back to. Spiral ones are easier to use (don’t flop back over as you’re writing) and easy to remove sheets that you don’t need in there anymore. I’ve also got a big hardbound notebook for when I need the old notes with me over long projects, but that’s quite heavy for everyday use. I find the waxy paper a bit weird and not that easy to write on (I use pencil as their special all-weather pen that I got just never impressed me much). Also it will get soaked eventually, but dries up nicely even if a bit wavy.

Rite in the rain also does a completely waterproof synthetic paper called Dura-something-something for divers and the like.

For normal paper, try Rhodia or Clairfontaine. They do paper that is great for fountain pens and as such doesn’t soak up water as readily as cheaper paper and have a nice surface treatment that means you can just wipe off any raindrops.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have a couple of Rite in the Rain notebooks but I never use them! I just use standard A6 lined notebooks with a leather cover - that size slips into a jacket pocket easily and can be protected by your body for quick reference if needed.

When I start a new one, I copy in any reference material (tree species size/age; finger, hand and arm dimensions; important contact information etc.) and put it at the back, then start my field notes from the front. I keep them all but, because the important field data is transferred to a database, I rarely have to refer to them - it's still nice to glance through notes from a few years ago though :)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Be carefull of some waterproof inks in fountain pens as can be very difficukt to clean out afterwards.
some links of interest
waterproof inks
'stone' paper
DeAtramentis Document series inks are very well-behaved and very fast-drying. Plus you can mix them if you want a different shade.

Noodler's are great (imo) but very! quirky and you do need to read up on the characteristics of each ink. They are also very saturated and can be diluted by 10-20% easily.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Travellers notebook. Nice leather cover and as many infill notebooks as you want. Better for organisation of your notes. Eg notes on setting up camp in one, notes on nature you might want with you in another and a third for on trip notes. Not waterproof but tbh do you really want to be writing out in heavy rain without ducking under a bit of shelter?

As to tarp setup, paper laminated with your notes printed out with sketches. Hole punched in the corner and tied together. Qiuiflick through to get the notes when needed. BTW paper can be cut to a useable size after being laminated, it'll still be waterproof. We laminate and cut to size at work and cable tie to security fences as a cheap, temporary sign, but they last years like that. Of course if you've got no access to a laminator then not a good idea, but if you do a cheaper and possibly better option.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE